52 pan lower with splined sprocket shaft on e-pay?

All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Post Reply
old52pan
Posts: 103
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:14 pm
Bikes: 49 pan and a 52 pan project
Location: wisconsin

52 pan lower with splined sprocket shaft on e-pay?

#1

Post by old52pan » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:54 pm

check this out, a fresh built 52 pan lower with splined sprocket shaft and great looking vin numbers. cotton may enjoy this one. :lol: notice only one numer 7 on one side of the motor mount?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HARLEY-D ... 23050f2bb9



alwaysamopar
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:10 am
Bikes: 1978 Shovel 1964 Panhead
Location: Tucson Az

Re: 52 pan lower with splined sprocket shaft on e-pay?

#2

Post by alwaysamopar » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:20 pm

old52pan wrote:check this out, a fresh built 52 pan lower with splined sprocket shaft and great looking vin numbers. cotton may enjoy this one. :lol: notice only one numer 7 on one side of the motor mount?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HARLEY-D ... 23050f2bb9
can you explain about the number 7 for a new guy??

FlatHeadSix
Moderator
Posts: 2685
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 5:14 pm
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)
Location: Lonoke, Arkansas
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 32 times

Re: 52 pan lower with splined sprocket shaft on e-pay?

#3

Post by FlatHeadSix » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:18 pm

alwaysamopar wrote:can you explain about the number 7 for a new guy??
The "7" stamped on the top of the rear motor mount indicated that the cases were intended for building a 74 cubic inch engine. The factory did that when they were still producing both EL and FL engines using the same case castings. There has been a lot of previous discussion regarding whether all 74" engines had a "7" or if it should be stamped on both case halves. It seems that there are quite a few legitamate engines which have only one side of the cases stamped with a 7. My '49 has it on both sides.

mike

FlatHeadSix
Moderator
Posts: 2685
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 5:14 pm
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)
Location: Lonoke, Arkansas
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 32 times

Re: 52 pan lower with splined sprocket shaft on e-pay?

#4

Post by FlatHeadSix » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:26 pm

old52pan wrote: cotton may enjoy this one. :lol:
Did you notice who built the engine? Our old friend the Dragonman! And the guy that is selling the engine put that in the listing like its a good thing?

He also says it has a good Calipornia Pink Slip, I would say its more like a Red Flag. Has anyone asked him to show the belly numbers?

mike

alwaysamopar
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:10 am
Bikes: 1978 Shovel 1964 Panhead
Location: Tucson Az

Re: 52 pan lower with splined sprocket shaft on e-pay?

#5

Post by alwaysamopar » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:10 pm

FlatHeadSix wrote:
alwaysamopar wrote:can you explain about the number 7 for a new guy??
The "7" stamped on the top of the rear motor mount indicated that the cases were intended for building a 74 cubic inch engine. The factory did that when they were still producing both EL and FL engines using the same case castings. There has been a lot of previous discussion regarding whether all 74" engines had a "7" or if it should be stamped on both case halves. It seems that there are quite a few legitamate engines which have only one side of the cases stamped with a 7. My '49 has it on both sides.

mike
Cool Thanks Mike !! My 64 has the number 7 stamped on both cases as well now i know what their for

RUBONE
Moderator
Posts: 5142
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:09 am
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 504 times

Re: 52 pan lower with splined sprocket shaft on e-pay?

#6

Post by RUBONE » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:56 pm

oldpan52,
Where do you get the idea that that engine has a splined shaft??
Robbie

old52pan
Posts: 103
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:14 pm
Bikes: 49 pan and a 52 pan project
Location: wisconsin

Re: 52 pan lower with splined sprocket shaft on e-pay?

#7

Post by old52pan » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:35 pm

robbie, your right as rain.my damn bi-focals :oops: the shadows made me think it was splined. sorry all, I feel like a jack ass however if that vin # is factory I'll eat my hat. :shock: tim

alwaysamopar
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:10 am
Bikes: 1978 Shovel 1964 Panhead
Location: Tucson Az

Re: 52 pan lower with splined sprocket shaft on e-pay?

#8

Post by alwaysamopar » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:02 pm

old52pan wrote:robbie, your right as rain.my damn bi-focals :oops: the shadows made me think it was splined. sorry all, I feel like a jack ass however if that vin # is factory I'll eat my hat. :shock: tim
Dont sweat it I had to look at for a while to see correctly It kind of does look like splines

FlatHeadSix
Moderator
Posts: 2685
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 5:14 pm
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)
Location: Lonoke, Arkansas
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 32 times

Re: 52 pan lower with splined sprocket shaft on e-pay?

#9

Post by FlatHeadSix » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:21 pm

old52pan wrote:the shadows made me think it was splined
yeah, with the keyway at 12 o'clock and the shadows and reflections on the taper it takes a hard look to see what kind of shape that shaft is in. That's what makes buying stuff on ePay such a crap shoot, you're at the mercy of a bad photographer or a photographer that is only showing you what he wants you to see.

I'd still like to see the bottom of those cases, any bets on whether the numbers match?

mike

Panacea
Posts: 1867
Joined: Fri May 24, 2002 1:00 am
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD
Location: Mpls. MN.
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 57 times

Re: 52 pan lower with splined sprocket shaft on e-pay?

#10

Post by Panacea » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:30 pm

Looks like the right side is set up for hydraulics, also has the tappet screen hole...Mike

TimmyV
Posts: 147
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:27 pm
Bikes: 1961 FLH
2017 FLHTKL
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: 52 pan lower with splined sprocket shaft on e-pay?

#11

Post by TimmyV » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:00 am

alwaysamopar wrote:
FlatHeadSix wrote:
alwaysamopar wrote:can you explain about the number 7 for a new guy??
The "7" stamped on the top of the rear motor mount indicated that the cases were intended for building a 74 cubic inch engine. The factory did that when they were still producing both EL and FL engines using the same case castings. There has been a lot of previous discussion regarding whether all 74" engines had a "7" or if it should be stamped on both case halves. It seems that there are quite a few legitamate engines which have only one side of the cases stamped with a 7. My '49 has it on both sides.

mike
Cool Thanks Mike !! My 64 has the number 7 stamped on both cases as well now i know what their for
I'm pretty new to these Pans, but why would a 1964 have 7's instead of H's like my '61 ? I'm just askin' ...

fourthgear
Posts: 1391
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:12 pm
Location: north florida
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: 52 pan lower with splined sprocket shaft on e-pay?

#12

Post by fourthgear » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:08 am

I can see two "7"s on the cases . The one on the left is just faint . That "F" is cocked like mine is .Maybe the same guy stamped them ?

jlaley
Posts: 79
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:18 am
Bikes: 2004 FLHRSI
1954 FL
Location: Rochester NY

Re: 52 pan lower with splined sprocket shaft on e-pay?

#13

Post by jlaley » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:09 am

It looks to me like there is a 7 on both sides also. It's faint on the left but it's there.

jlaley
Posts: 79
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:18 am
Bikes: 2004 FLHRSI
1954 FL
Location: Rochester NY

Re: 52 pan lower with splined sprocket shaft on e-pay?

#14

Post by jlaley » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:11 am

I was typing at the same time fourthgear was posting. Missed it by that much.

HD48FL
Posts: 111
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:01 am
Bikes: Yep
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: 52 pan lower with splined sprocket shaft on e-pay?

#15

Post by HD48FL » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:45 am

TimmyV wrote: I'm pretty new to these Pans, but why would a 1964 have 7's instead of H's like my '61 ? I'm just askin' ...
Because there were still FL's being produced.

FL got 7's and the FLH got H's.

Post Reply

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”