Trading parts- whats fair? opinions needed

All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
mrwitty
Bikes: 1979 fxef, 1957 flh

Trading parts- whats fair? opinions needed

Post by mrwitty » Wed May 12, 2010 6:24 pm

I have a friend with a pair of complete 56 panheads that I am looking at, he is looking pretty hard at a 59 model complete trans that I have. He also has some useable jugs too, but he says the heads are worth way more than this trans anyway. Im not honestly sure what to think, i have owned some shovelhead stuff over the years, but I have yet to price or trade any panhead stuff. The heads will still need some attention to be ready, what would you guys think is a fair trade here? heads as-is for the trans? The tranny is ready to run, it shifts good etc.... thanks for any input- i really dont know what is fair?

hjans
Bikes: HD FLH'59

Re: Trading parts- whats fair? opinions needed

Post by hjans » Wed May 12, 2010 6:41 pm

look at e-bay.
prices may vary, and you must watch items to see last bids before auctions end.

f.i. :
heads :
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HARLEY-C ... ccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harley-D ... ccessories

tranny :
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harley-4 ... ccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1970-198 ... ccessories

Tranny's are shovelhead ! Yours is probably worth more.

Hans

Bigincher
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher » Thu May 13, 2010 3:32 am

I'm going to stick my neck out here and offer my opinion--- and it is only my opinion.
I believe the transmission is worth a little more than the heads. Condition is the key factor--- are the heads in excellent shape ready to run, or do they need work? How deep are the valve seats cut, do they need new seats? Need a valve job? Guides? How about all the threads good, are they good? How are the exhaust spigots? Are the heads complete, with rocker arms and valve covers?
On the other hand, your transmission is pretty much a bolt-and-go? Have you popped the cover off to actually look at the condition of the gears? Any pitting in the gear hard-surfacing, and you'd be looking at a rebuild. Gear sets are expensive.
Ive seen good trannys go for right around $1200. Good set of heads-- complete--- maybe $800? Please do not use these numbers, I just feel the transmission is worth more. If it boiled right down to it, it might not be too far off an even trade------ depends on condition!

Now let's see what others say.....

Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff » Thu May 13, 2010 9:14 am

It would seem to me that trannies are easier to come by than pan cylinder heads are. Short shaft trannies were produced from 36 to 64. Then ya got shovel trannies from 65-84. Lets see...Trannies were produced for 48 years, and panheads only 17. Seems to me heads would be tougher to score than a tranny. Draw yer own conclusion. That being said, I would not trade a runner tranny for a couple of casting that need everything done to em. You can dump as much in a set of heads as you can in a tranny....bosheff

Sir_Rat
Bikes: '37 UL, '79 Frankenstein, '88 Sporty

Post by Sir_Rat » Thu May 13, 2010 9:52 am

Ready to run!!!....still needs some attention????....Bosheff said it right.... heads are harder to find....but....your trannies worth probably $1000-$1200..If I spent that much for a set of heads they would have to be completley re-worked all new parts and outside oilers (okay maybe not outside oilers) before I would think about it. My opinion only.

Aloha...Mike

mrwitty
Bikes: 1979 fxef, 1957 flh

Post by mrwitty » Thu May 13, 2010 2:12 pm

i see yes, well i dont want to cheat anybody, myself included...:) I think if the heads are needing some "typical" attention then he should throw in the jugs that are at .040... If the heads are pretty much ready to bolt on, maybe straight up trade. My trans is ready to run, its dated B9 so based on all i read its a 59 model. It has a cool period "ribbed, finned" kicker cover and a nice kicker arm and pedal too, still even has the shifter rod etc... I will see this weekend since i hope to get up to this guys shop. thanks for the input:) i just dont know enough to judge

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”