Anybody Running New Pans or Knuckles?

All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
PhilB

Anybody Running New Pans or Knuckles?

Post by PhilB » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:45 pm

I have a bet with my buddy about the new pan and knuck motors. I would like to know who is running any of them- S & S (really a shovel), STD, Accurate, etc. We are arguing about service life, performance, miles run, etc. Who has em, how many miles you got on it, what kind of performance, riding style, maintenance?

He says none of em ever get very far out of the garage and the ones that do don't get too far or stay away for long!

I got a bottle of Padron that says he is full of crap-

What say you?

old1955
Bikes: 55FLE, 65FL

Re: Anybody Running New Pans or Knuckles?

Post by old1955 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:18 pm

G'day Phil,

Can't help much on that topic, I think most guys here have the "real thing".
Although those S&S motors are starting to appear here and there.
Haven't read anything much on them here either.

They would have to be reasonable quality, as the flak would be real bad.
They have good quality engine parts for the most part. There is a lot of engines
running around with their races rollers and crank pins in them, and some with those
fly wheels too.:)

Pete

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:24 pm

Thanks! I will post this over to the repop page and see what comes up!

steinauge
Bikes: 1938U,1949FL,1961FL,1968XL,1979FL ,1958 FL, 1965 BMW,1975 Honda CB750

Post by steinauge » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:00 pm

Tom Johnson is running an S&S "panhead" for a while now and seems to be doing well with it.I have never owned an S&S engine but I have worked on plenty of them(evo types)and have been impressed by their quality.I have also used S&S parts for 45 years now in everything from fuel bikes to flatheads and have never had any complaint with anything I bought from them.

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:32 pm

Thanks, Stienauge! I read the exploits of Tom Johnson and his S & S motor. They are nice and since they use the shovel style valve rockers, have fixed the rocker block/oiling issues from the original pans- I am curious as I have an STD Pan- 93" dual plug heads and S & S jugs, Jim's wheels and all the stroker goodies. It is a great runner but I had my buddy do a lot of rework to make it that way. It is one thing to run a 50-yr old motor that requires lots of wrench time, but I have been surprised (I am not sure why!) at the various issues we have had with the new motor-

Being in Florida, I ride all the time so I get 4-5,000 miles a year on my bike so it is not garage art! That said, I have had issues with timing, rocker oiling (big time issues with rockers and blocks) and things like base gasket leaks- (around town dry, highway trips-base gaskets leak). My buddy feels that the repop motors end up mostly sitting in garages as the owners give up due to the maintenance issues. I just don't think there are that many out there- so I am asking around!

steinauge
Bikes: 1938U,1949FL,1961FL,1968XL,1979FL ,1958 FL, 1965 BMW,1975 Honda CB750

Post by steinauge » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:56 pm

I am running two pans right now and have owned and worked on a LOT of them over the years-what rocker arm issue? I always thought the pan had the best rocker arm setup HD ever used.Reliable and rebuildable. I am in Florida too,up around Daytona Beach.

ncitta

Post by ncitta » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:12 pm

I have a 103" knuck motor that I collaborated with Berry @ Accurate that was on the cover of American Iron, Berry did an amazing job on this motor, I am still running it and in fact have ridden with Tom Johnson several times , he on his pan and me on my knuck, so you can verify this with him.
I have had NO problems with this motor, it has been an easy starter from day one. Berry builds top quality motors and backs them up!
My knuck is extremely powerful and a real fun ride!
I will post pictures soon, I highly recommend Accurate for their work.
I still have all build sheet info as I am sure Accurate has also.
Their prices reflect their quality!
Regards, Nelson

ncitta

Post by ncitta » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:27 pm

I just pulled the accurate engineering website up and my knuck article is posted on page 3 of the magazine page, "American Iron Tuner 2006
103 style knuck..."
Just remembered that Tom Johnson did the article!
Regards, Nelson :wink:

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:48 am

nctta- how many miles you got on that knuck?

ncitta

Post by ncitta » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:44 pm

since I have no speedo, I would have to guess but I am quite confident to say over 5,000
All local, I have been hopping around on it since 2004
I have many bikes and this one does not see all the action although It is one of my favorites due to its
Power...
Regards, Nelson
Quite a lot of attention was paid to the internals (surface treatments including ceramic piston domes and combustion chamber and various
dry film lubricants at different locations)
Hopes this helps, call Accurate to confirm...

RFORSE
Bikes: 1981 Harley FXE
1995 Harley FLHR
2006 Harley 1200L
2000 Panzer Digger HT

Post by RFORSE » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:41 am

I have my 90 C.I. Panzer with about 35,000 and no real problems and still runs strong.

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”