56FL rearended

All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
beets
Bikes: 56 FL, 07 Goldwing ,91 BMW K75

56FL rearended

Post by beets » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:58 pm

I was sitting at a red light and the truck behind me was stopped.She moved forward, hit me then did a 180 and left the scene.
A guy got her number and I filed a hit&run with the police.

The rear section of the fender, taillight , "cabbage cutter", left saddlebag and both left crash guards are damaged.

I doubt that she has insurace, but I would like to get an official estimate of the damage.
Where should I go to get an estimate?

Cotten

Re: 56FL rearended

Post by Cotten » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:37 pm

Ron!

Thankfully, you were not hurt?

The burden of proof of values and damages falls heavily upon you.

Any shop that will do an accurate and in-depth damage appraisal will take many hours to do so. And they will be compelled to charge for it, especially if you do your own work.

Many shops will just price everything out of V-TWIN, conjure a service cost, and urge you to get the settlement before you start pricing the real thing.

You can do the catalog work yourself.
And you can collect all of your old receipts and other evidence of value, including recent photos.
Both are things that insurance people can understand. Ebay print-outs o0f comparable parts are another great thing to include in your damage appraisal (since you will be shopping anyway).

The service costs will be more difficult to estimate.
But you can do a quick listing yourself to assist and encourage your servicewriter.
Whatever figure he or she comes up with, bump it 20% more to cover reality.

Then you hope the truckdriver is caught and insured, if you have no comprehensive coverage yourself.

Good luck!

....Cotten

beets
Bikes: 56 FL, 07 Goldwing ,91 BMW K75

Post by beets » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:19 pm

My armored jacket saved me some road rash.

I am hoping a good body man can straightened the taillight, but it looks like a pretzel.

In case it cannot be straightened, I have been looking at Ebay and I found some NOS tail lights that have a -64 part number. Will this fit on my 56? I'm hoping the 64 is just because of the change over to 12 volt. I am going to, at least temporarily, abandon the "cabbage cutter". One loop is broken and the other bent. Two of the cutters are bent.

Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:56 am

Tail lights from 55 thru 72 are all basically the same with the exception of the lenses. The bolt pattern for mounting to the fender if memory serves me is the same for all....bosheff

john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '71 Suzuki Duster 125, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD » Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:18 am

ron

you will want a tail light marked "RH-55" for your bike.

john

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”