30 years in the garage

All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
OldSoul
Bikes: 50FL

30 years in the garage

Post by OldSoul » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:07 am

I recently inheirited my gpa's 50FL I've been drooling over since birth, but it hasn,t been rode since mid 70's. the coil was bad I hear but now it needs some attention before I can take Gma for a ride on it again. Any ideas what it should cost me to have someone who knows what they're doin to get it runnin. Aside from minimal electric repair; the clutch doesn't seem to engage, cables need lubricated, carb cleaned and I don't really know what else. I've spit and polished all I'm prepared to, I need help.
Btw it only has 16000 miles and looks dinged on bottoms of covers, don't know if it's been layed down.

RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: 30 years in the garage

Post by RUBONE » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:16 am

Very cool Old soul,
You need to put those pictures in the posting!
And depending on what part of the country you are in there are lots of guys who can help. And none of them are at your local dealer! time to do your Grandpa proud!!
Robbie

Yags
Bikes: 1962 FLH

Post by Yags » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:43 am

RUBONE wrote:Very cool Old soul,
You need to put those pictures in the posting!
And depending on what part of the country you are in there are lots of guys who can help. And none of them are at your local dealer! time to do your Grandpa proud!!
Robbie
Not to pick a fight RUBONE..... but there are still some good old school H-D dealers out there that havn't sold out to HDMC. Look around, you'll find them.

Mike

RUBONE

Post by RUBONE » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:09 am

but there are still some good old school H-D dealers out there that havn't sold out to HDMC
And merely my opinion, but...
As far as I am concerned anything termed"old school" puts me off, so I'll just pass on the dealers argument! To me that is merely a modern term invented by people who weren't there to try and validate something they know naught of!
Robbie
SorryOldsoul, don't mean to hijack your thread. Your bike is still cool no matter where you find help!

FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:41 am

Robbie, I'm going to have to agree with you , "old school" is one of those new terms that usually turns me off to anything its applied to. And I also agree that 99.9% of the MoCo dealers, their service departments, and most of the rest of their staff do NOT speak our language.

But, I also agree with some of what yags is trying to say, there are a few, very few, H-D Dealers that actually know what we're about. Jim's H-D in Ohio is one of them, but you usually have to talk to Jim himself.

getting back to the topic of this thread, I think this is a picture or two of OldSoul's G'Pa's '50FL, a righteous project indeed if this is the bike he's talking about.

just my 2 cents....

mike
Parsons Chariot 1950 oldsoul.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

King

Post by King » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:45 pm

Hi Old Soul

I must agree with the concensus of opinion on HD dealers almost all of them have a no pre-EVO service policy. But, like my local one, they may have had mechanics working for them that have spun off their own shops. So it is worth a stop-by to ask a few questions.

If you are anywheres near central Virginia I can recommend two excellent shops.

Also please photo document the bike down to the finest details as there are very few "unmolested" examples around for restorers to reference.

Best of luck and I sure would like to see the smile on Gramdma's face when she hears the old putt roar back to life.

King

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:22 pm

OldSoul!

Your machine is priceless.

Please do as little as possible to the machine, and do as much as possible yourself.

Information is everything, and we are here to help.

Servicing the clutch is a usually a matter of disassembly, cleaning, and reassembly;
You will need to know how to adjust it in the future, and that is the best way to learn.
The special tool you will need is a very large washer with a 3/8" hole in it.

....Cotten
PS to All: "Old School" is a Hip-Hop music term, and should never be applied to motorcycles, or anything else for that matter!

john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '71 Suzuki Duster 125, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:34 pm

oldsoul,

first, welcome to the forum!

just a couple words of caution. if the bike is in original condition please consider leaving as much of it in original condition as possible! take tons of photos! "restored" bikes while nice are never worth as much as an original!

a couple of years back a good friend of mine found a 47el knuck in an attic with 11K original miles. he did a minimal restore job, basically motor and trans work with new paint. (the bike had been repainted in '51) he left everything else as found.

when my friend had the motor opened up it was discovered that the bike had been put away with gas in it. the gas drained into the motor and washed the oil off the internal parts. although stored in a dry location all of the internals had rusted! it would have been a disaster if we had decided to try to get it running as is.

so, if you decide to try to get it running a peek inside the timing chest might be a good idea!

good luck with your project! looking forward to more info!

john

ps here is a shot of the '47 complete with original locktite bags! the seat, tires and paint were all that was changed. too bad it was not an original paint bike when found!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wayne Mc
Bikes: 1968FLH
1988 FLHT
1968 FLH

Post by Wayne Mc » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:00 am

Hello Oldschool,

Don't chop or *uck with grandpa pan.
Ask around your area for a mechanic with extensive pan experience. Can't find anyone locally , widen your search range. Avoid fast talking , sell you a complete rebuild for $xxxxx.00 bucks
You'll find a guy. Post your location and a member might be able to help you out

Robert Luland
Bikes: 1922JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT

Post by Robert Luland » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:29 am

PS to All: "Old School" is a Hip-Hop music term, and should never be applied to motorcycles, or anything else for that matter!

Tom, you never cease to amaze me with your knowledge. So how long you bin into the ghetto tunes, Yo! How many watts you beeze running in your crib? How big your woofers?

Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:25 am

You people be crazie....

drinner-okc
Bikes: 1965 ElectraGlide
1953 HydraGlide
Pan Super Glide
47 EL Knucklehead w/ Sidecar (Basket)

Post by drinner-okc » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:48 pm

Oldsoul, if you let us know what area you are in, we can make suggestions. There are still
reputable craftsmen scattered across the land.
You have a great piece of both family history and Harley history in your hands.
People have spent years searching and not found a piece like this. Lucky man.

drinner-okc

Yags
Bikes: 1962 FLH

Post by Yags » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:00 pm

Sorry OldSoul. My apologies for butting into your thread again.
I just have to speak my mind.
What a shame.... a man tries to speak up for himself and his fellow H-D dealers that still love to work on the "old motorcycles" and all he gets is ridiculed on his word usage. Thats terrible.
Mike

RUBONE

Post by RUBONE » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:19 pm

Yags,
Almost without exception modern H-D dealers have shown nothing but disdain and disrespect for those who prefer to ride their old bikes as opposed to buying into the corporate "Nostalgia and Lifestyle" BS. If you feel badly treated it is more the fault of your fellow dealers and H-D that has created the bad taste in the mouths of most vintage riders. I have personally not bought anything even contemplated doing business with H-D or any dealer I am aware of for over ten years. (probably closer to 20 in most instances!) I don't consider H-D a company that has the least respect for their past, and only use their history as a means to sell modern products.
You may welcome riders of vintage bikes into your shop. But you are a small exception if that is the case. And without knowing that to be the case you have gotten included with your corporate brethren. Sad but true!
So if you think this is so terrible, take it up with H-D. They created it, not us riders of old iron! Just as in anything else in life, religion, politics, business. The sins of the leadership is distributed throughout!
So now I have spoken my mind!
Robbie

radarv
Bikes: 1949 FL,2005 FLSTSC

Post by radarv » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:38 pm

robbie, not everyone at the moco feels distaste for vintage bikes. though some do. the lifestyle thing, cant be bought at any dealership. the history is important. after all how do you know where your going , if you dont know where youve been? the lifestyle is what you make for yourself. old soul, thats a nice piece of family & h-d history you have. your gramps is smiling down on you knowing you will treat the old girl well. thanks for sharing the pics with us. good luck with your bike, & keep the pics comming. regards, radar

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”