Service Manual Question

All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Hubbard
Bikes: 54 FLE, 49FL ,27JD,74FX all customs

Service Manual Question

Post by Hubbard » Sun May 15, 2011 2:36 am

I'm just curious, why would a person spend a small fortune on a scooter but refuse to spend 30.00 on a factory service manual? Can someone here help me see the reasoning behind that logic?

Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Re: Service Manual Question

Post by Bosheff » Sun May 15, 2011 3:18 am

There is no reason, and certainly no logic in owning a piece of equipment or a machine that one plans on using, maintaining, and repairing, without a bonafide factory service manual, especially since this machine is a minimum of 46 years old. While it is true there are thousands of years of combined experience on this site, it is a waste of time and space to continually repeat basic procedures. For those who don't have service manual or parts manual, do yourselves a favor and get yer hands on both. And I don't mean Clymers or any other brand "X" manual. The parts manual is invaluable in breaking down and assembly, and in many cases will answer a question one may have without resorting to posting up on this or any other site. For things that aren't clear (adjusting a mousetrap for instance), post away. For other basic procedures and adjustments consult the manual first. Hopefully, a person will have a better understanding of their machine after studying the manuals, and save themselves a pile of money too....bosheff

Hubbard

Post by Hubbard » Sun May 15, 2011 10:45 am

Amen brother

Panhead Ed
Bikes: 1948 FL
1959 FLH chopper
1966 Norton P-11
1968 XLCH
1976 FXE

Post by Panhead Ed » Mon May 16, 2011 1:04 pm

ABSOLUTELY ! COULDNT HAVE SAID IT BETTER !

RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE » Mon May 16, 2011 3:08 pm

Because we live in a time where more and more people are unwilling to take any responsibility for their actions. It is much easier to just ask for help than to try to learn. And that way they always have someone to blame when things don't work out. Poor mechanical skills? Why, it's not their fault the stripped/broke/lost that part. They were only doing what someone else told them to so it obviously is that other persons fault! They all want the glory without expending any of the energy! it manifests itself every day in every aspect of life and level of modern society. Child rearing (it's the teachers fault!), Finances (the Government needs to bail me out!), relationships (it's not my fault, everyone does it!), and motorcycles ( I don't need to learn anything, I'll just leech of everyone else's hard work!).
Sure, there are plenty of legitimate questions, but many are just pure laziness.
At least that's how I see it!
Robbie

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Mon May 16, 2011 10:06 pm

We are getting a little self-righteous, dontcha think?

How many of you folks read your manual for your computer, or could fix it it it broke?

How many of you pester a doctor, retain an accountant, or *gasp* a lawyer?
What's wrong with patronizing a quality service shop?

I agree that self-reliance and personal responsibility has vaporized in most modern societies.
But life is short, and many of us just do not have the resources to become avid wrench-turners, but still love the machines.
I do not begrudge those who realize they cannot afford both the machine, and an ever-expanding workshop to accomodate it.
(I am the perfect 'bad example' of one who did not.)

Everybody has the right to play with their toys any way they want.

....Cotten

RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE » Mon May 16, 2011 10:45 pm

Perhaps you missed my point Cotten,
I never mentioned in my post anything about needing to do it all yourself or not supporting the rest of society. What I did say was that those who CLAIM to want to learn and DO IT THEMSELVES yet are not willing to commit to that and instead choose to ride on the good will of others are either lazy or carry around some sense of entitlement.
And actually, if I chose to make that a priority I could fix my computer. As far as pestering others I see no need to do so as all the info I seek is available in some form of print. Of course those who are too lazy to read will just ask others!
And I could care less if someone labels me self righteous. I am proud of my accomplishments and make a point of learning something new every day. And my interests don't just lie with motorcycles!
Robbie

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Mon May 16, 2011 11:06 pm

Gosh, Robbie,

Is everybody supposed to be instantly experienced?

From my own experience, I finally learned that it takes mistakes to learn your limits. That's all part of "the journey".
And I respect those who learned quicker than I did!
Those who do not learn,.. are at their own mercy.

Pity the machines, of course!

....Cotten
PS: I called everybody on this thread down on self-righteousness, so don't take it personally.

Hubbard

Post by Hubbard » Tue May 17, 2011 1:49 am

Okay, before I became an owner of my first motorcycle, I bought a factory service manual. I read it day and night until I could quote it page for page. I'm not just sayin it ,it's the truth. 35 years later I still have it and refer to it when need be. 3 months ago a complete novice bought a computer, a 27.00 book and sat down and tought myself how to operate that too, with NO help from anybody. I learned long ago to figure it out myself and not be lazy. That way at 3 am if something go's wrong there is no one to blame but me. On the other hand the sense of pride I feel in my scooters also is mine alone. I just wondered if you'all felt the same as I do about manuals.

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Tue May 17, 2011 3:22 am

Hubbard wrote:Okay, before I became an owner of my first motorcycle, I bought a factory service manual. I read it day and night until I could quote it page for page. I'm not just sayin it ,it's the truth. 35 years later I still have it and refer to it when need be. 3 months ago a complete novice bought a computer, a 27.00 book and sat down and tought myself how to operate that too, with NO help from anybody. I learned long ago to figure it out myself and not be lazy. That way at 3 am if something go's wrong there is no one to blame but me. On the other hand the sense of pride I feel in my scooters also is mine alone. I just wondered if you'all felt the same as I do about manuals.
Hubbard!

Those are achievements to be proud of!

But most of us are still on the long path to enlightenment;
Why do you go out of your way to snivel at those taking their first steps?

....Cotten

c.o.
Bikes: '48 FL

Post by c.o. » Tue May 17, 2011 6:11 am

For better or worse, I've always done my own wrenching. I grab whatever manuals, parts books, etc... that are available for whatever bike I happen to be working on. When I bought my '48 I scooped every Panhead manual I could get my hands on. When I get deep into a project I can be found sitting up late at night pouring over the books. Most problems can be sorted out but sometimes it's just nice to see what the "other guy" would do. I put a lot of faith in some of the members that I've met on these forums that have a lot more knowledge than I do and if something were to go wrong, the last thing I would do is blame the other guy because afterall it's my hands that are holding the tools. Now that I think of it, thanks again to all that have helped me out with good advice over the years.

Panhead Ed
Bikes: 1948 FL
1959 FLH chopper
1966 Norton P-11
1968 XLCH
1976 FXE

Post by Panhead Ed » Tue May 17, 2011 12:15 pm

As I see it if a fellow is trying to feed his family by wreching " on whatever" its not likely he wants to give up free information which has taken years to aquier to some one who doesnt want to spend a few bucks for a manual to learn the proper procedures , instead just "they" sponge off others and only absorb bits and pieces of knowledge which is assually just enough to get them in trouble ! then go on to blame whoevers unqualified advice got them in to deep to climb out . A real HD manual will take you though all the owner related maintenence and adjustment the average rider "should " be able to handle , the average mans tool box doesnt hold the special tools requiered to do it all . Does anyone out there fill thier own cavitys or check their own prostate ? Let the mechanics earn a living and contribute to society my baby needs new shoes too !

its too much like when aunt B has Gommer fix her freezer and Andy repeatedlly tells her "CALL THE MAN"

George Greer
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1942 WLA Type III

Hybrid WL/KH bobber project.

58 FL, engine, frame swingarm, gas tanks.
Location: Markt Einersheim, Bavaria. and soon to be back in the US, Portland Oregon

Post by George Greer » Tue May 17, 2011 3:07 pm

Wow, almost afraid to ask anything about my 58FL engine that I just aquired.

I will say this, before I started my WLA. I got as many books about that thing that I could find. Palmers books, Reprints of US Army Technical Manuals and Parts books.

Even with all that, there was questions that arose concerning the "overhaul" of the bike.

Most memorable, transmission .. could not get the endspacing right...did it by the book...again and again. Got a tip, to put the case in the stove, heat her up and just on the off chance that the race had came out a bit....press it in....Well, guess what...the tip worked, and the race was infact out of place....but it did not look like it was.

To me bottom line is........people will always need help/advice REGARDLESS of how many books you have in hand OR how many times you have read them.

Thanks to me asking questions about the VIN numbers, I was able to avoid cases that I could have never have used.

That kind of knowledge comes from experience, which I don't have....but I am forever gratefull for the people here that do have it....and steered me away from BAD stuff.

You can bet, I'll be back....and with questions

George

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”