old brake shoes

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
49er
Bikes: 49 el chopper

old brake shoes

Post by 49er » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:38 am

Hi I have gotten a pair of front brake shoes off ebay for 12 bucks. the guy said they came off a 49 model. how well do you think these 60 yr old shoes will hold up under regular riding conditions?

Re: old brake shoes

Post by Guest » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:28 am

The Front Brakes on a Bike....do 75% of the Braking and if it was me......I'd want NEW Liners on them.....old used liners tend to harden with brake heat and that means that it takes more lever action to stop......plus they could have soaked up some oil laying around the work bench and thats not good....either !

So make your own choice.....i'd prefer new brake liners my self.

Motor Cycle Mike*

49er
Bikes: 49 el chopper

Post by 49er » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:46 am

thanks mike. my buddy who is a hotrod car builder winced when i asked him about it.

junker

Post by junker » Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:42 am

Remember its your life we are talking about here.old used parts are great for some stuff but brakes and bearings,tires and cables better go with best you can afford.

FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix » Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:30 am

49er

If the cast metal shoes are straight and solid and the linings have some meat left on them and are still securely rivetted to the shoes, they should be just fine. The important thing is that they fit the drum, the outside radius of the lining should match the inside radius of the drum.

An old "cheap trick" was to stick a strip of sand paper to the inside of the drum and then "lap" the shoes to the contour of the drum. Lathe turn the drum if it needs it or just thoroughly clean it and cut a strip of self-adhesive abrasive paper for an in-line sander and stick it to the inside of the drum. Rock the lining back and forth against the sand paper with a little pressure until the contours match. After sanding the glaze off the old lining's surface you should be able to see if any grease or oil has penetrated the lining material far enough to reduce their effectiveness. You will usually find that once you break the glaze the linings are just like new.

BIG word of caution here, most of those old original linings were asbestos compounds. If you start sanding them make sure you have a good respirator and do it outside. This also applies to the vintage NOS lining material available, if you re-line old shoes with NOS linings you face the same problem.

If you don't want those shoes, I might be interested.

mike

Return to “Brakes”