Cast brake drums

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Gearbox

Cast brake drums

Post by Gearbox » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:40 pm

Author: gearbox

I have a Hydroglide front end with cast drum and its casting numbers end with -48 . My question is did they use the same drum on both front ends ( springer & Hydro. ) are they interchangeable or is this just a casting number and means nothing ? Thanks , I know you guys like your brains picked .

Post by Kurt

Nope...the Hydra is bigger.

Post by gearbox

So I gather that the cast number means nothing? I just woundered because they did not have Hyraglides till 1949 . Thanks

Post by Kurt

No, it's a -48 number in my books. So the casting is correct. Should fit 49 to 66 models....maybe late 48 production.

58flh
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Re: Cast brake drums

Post by 58flh » Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:52 pm

Gearbox wrote:Author: gearbox

I have a Hydroglide front end with cast drum and its casting numbers end with -48 . My question is did they use the same drum on both front ends ( springer & Hydro. ) are they interchangeable or is this just a casting number and means nothing ? Thanks , I know you guys like your brains picked .

Post by Kurt

Nope...the Hydra is bigger.

Post by gearbox

So I gather that the cast number means nothing? I just woundered because they did not have Hyraglides till 1949 . Thanks

Post by Kurt

No, it's a -48 number in my books. So the casting is correct. Should fit 49 to 66 models....maybe late 48 production.

------------post by 58flh-----the guys are right, I looked in the manual!--Kurt said it might be a late production # I think he hit right-on.

Return to “Brakes”