Front brake pivot stud cannot be removed

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Trey Bruggeman

Front brake pivot stud cannot be removed

Post by Trey Bruggeman » Thu Jul 08, 2004 6:29 am

I am in the process of restoring my '57 Panhead and have hit a roadblock. In removing the front wheel and brake assembly, I found that I cannot remove the brake pivot stud from the front fork tube. This is the stud that is threaded on the end and runs through the brake backing plate and through the fork tube. There is a nut and two washers that hold this stud in place on the fork tube. My problem is that this stud will not budge from the fork tube. The brake backing plate is freely rotating on the stud, however I cannot push the stud through the fork tube to remove it. Are these studs just simply slid into the fork tube, or are they infact threaded into the fork tube (hence the slot on the end of the stud.) I have tried beating on it with a mallet to no success (I thought maybe it was just rusted into the tube.) Any suggestions/info about removing this piece would be appreciated.

mbskeam

Re: Front brake pivot stud cannot be removed

Post by mbskeam » Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:17 pm

hello, try a C-clamp and a deep well socket. find a socket that will fit over the stud on the inside and take the C- clamp and put over the outside stud and the other end over the socket and tighten the clamp. this will act as a small press. it should push stud into the socket. it is not threaded but just corroded, rusted into place. this should get it out. You can also spray with penetrating oil .
mbskeam

Billy

Post by Billy » Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:53 pm

The Ultimate penetrating oil is "Kroil" It's amazing http://www.kanolabs.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I get it by the gallon. But it comes in any size. Makes WD-45 pale in comparison ;D you get the idea!!

PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL custom
58 FL
76 FLH All Original

Post by PanPal » Fri Jul 09, 2004 2:43 pm

Kroil ;D Great stuff! It is what I used when I had the same problem with the front brake adjuster on mine.
Some others I personally prefer,

CRC Heavy duty degreaser.
Strong smell, but does a hell of as job on grease and grim.

Sprayon Flash Free Safety Solvent & Degreaser.
Won't damage plastic parts, gives you time to work on things before it evaporates, leaves no residue. It's an electrical contact cleaner but also degreases when your arms not long enough to reach the Heavy duty degreaser can.

Tri Flow
Superior Lubricant with Teflon. It penetrates and protects. Great when trying to locate a bad bearing in a nest of rollers.

Lubriplate
great thin film grease when PMing equipment. I used this on my clutch roller bearings and in my star hubs.

Everyone have their MSDS sheets in order? What a pain in the ass they are!

Return to “Brakes”