Grease the rear hub and brakes

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
msarver

Grease the rear hub and brakes

Post by msarver » Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:12 pm

It doesn't end :-/ Not sure if the guy greased this thing much or at all, I pumped a load of grease in the rear hub...immediate brake failure ??? Did I just fill up the brake drum? How normal is this?

Thanks
Mike

47knuck

Re: Grease the rear hub and brakes

Post by 47knuck » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:49 am

Miker: Yep ya did. The seal for a star hub is on the brake side. If that grease whent past it you got it on the drum and shoes. A bitch to clean up. Take it apart and grease it and watch when it just starts to show at the seal you are done. Clean up the end real good. Remember the grease is for the rollers and there is a lot of room inside the hub for more than you need.

msarver

Post by msarver » Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:12 am

Dang it!!! ok, thanks for the advise.

Mike

Billy

Post by Billy » Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:47 am

msarver-

Don't get 'bummed out' You didn't hit anything, or wreck.
Take it slow till your manual shows up... It'll work out.

Soon you will get much more familiar w/your Flatty & this will be something to look back on & have a good laugh.....Everything in moderation/ cept Horsepower.. ;)

msarver

Post by msarver » Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:01 pm

I know :-[. I should pull the wheels down anyway...when the manual arrives this week that is. I also have a new exhaust header coming this week, and I'll wait untill I get the manual to start re-sealing the intake. But first I'm going to do a week long road trip on my '02 Heritage Springer to get prepped. Its a nice looking machine, but requires very little thought to operate. I'm looking forward to learning how to talk to the '42 45.
Thanks

FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix » Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:03 am

Mike
I was just looking at the pictures in the Gallery, I'm guessing that "X13" is your new WLA bobber. Looks great! Is that transmission still dumping oil or did the old seal soak up some of that Lucas and slow down the leak?

The front hub on those WLA wheels is a little different than the star hubs, the brake drum is laced into the wheel. Same deal though, there is a slinger on the inside of the drum but no real seal, so if you pump too much grease into it all it does is fill up the brake drum. Its best to clean and grease them with the wheel off the bike. When you tear it down be careful when you loosen the cone on the hub, all the bearings are uncaged (loose) and will roll into any black hole that exists in your shop, never to be seen again.

Have a great ride on the springer and be safe!

mike

msarver

Post by msarver » Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:21 pm

yeah Mike, the X13 is mine, and yes, the Lucas oil is amazing. I got an initial 4 oz's or so to leak, then the seal must have regained its sealing ability as you suggested. I mean BARELY a drop on the floor, although I only made one trip to work and back since, but it leaked at rest before. Thanks for the heads up on the front wheel as well, I must have stopped in time, I have front brake, well, some. It was weak when I got it. Boy, the guy that invented the sealed cartridge bearing is ok in my book. Looks like I might be running into some thunder showers the first couple days on this trip.

mike

Return to “Brakes”