Hydra brakes

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Berra

Hydra brakes

Post by Berra » Fri Aug 01, 2003 2:30 pm

Does anyone have a good idea to get the front hydra brake work well? I mean its a big drum, it could work good with some kind of modifications. Last time i had my front brake drum apart i noticed that it locked thin, maybe someone had lahte it because it wasnt ok? The brakes shoes hardly touches the drum, i had too adjust the wire a lot to get somekind of brake. I rather fix the drum than change to disc brake, the drum looks much better. It would be nice to have two good brake systems on my Pan. I like to run fast, and sometimes it can be pretty dangerous because of crazy cardrivers. Have a nice weekend!!

King

Re: Hydra brakes

Post by King » Fri Aug 01, 2003 8:51 pm

Hi Berra

Sounds to me like you got a combination of problems. First if the drum itself is “thin” you are probably right somebody ground it down too much trying to “true” it. Only option, if that is the case, is to replace drum.

If shoes are barley touching drum probably the drum and shoes have not been “arced” to make them match and provide as much contact as possible. Also your shoes might be worn out i.e. down to the rivets that in combo with an oversized ID on your drum would explain a lot...

Last time I changed shoes I used a stock pair made by Raysbestos but now I understand that there are aftermarket ones made of Kevlar that perform much better than the old asbestos based ones. Changing the shoes was easy I just riveted them on and took the shoes and the drum down to a brake shop where they cleaned up the drum a bit and arced in the shoes and they have performed well ever since.

I agree that the drum look is preferable and with a good drum and properly set up shoes you should have decent breaking.

King

P.S. Does anyone know a supplier of the Kevlar shoes?

panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead » Sat Aug 02, 2003 9:04 pm

45partsdepot (http://www.45partsdepot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) is working on an improved front brake (dual cam).

Berra

Post by Berra » Sun Aug 03, 2003 12:06 am

Hi! Checked it up!! Looked real good. Would be nice to keep the old wire brake handle on the bars. And this brake must funktion well. This forum are very good, wouldn´t found this brake by myself. Thanks Panhead!!
45partsdepot (http://www.45partsdepot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) is working on an improved front brake (dual cam)

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Sun Aug 03, 2003 1:32 am

Kevlar linings would be great. I'm sure some sources can bond modern linings and arc them. I've had it done for Chiefs. And reasonably.
But most of the time the linings are still serviceable, and we all want to do as much as we can ourselves.
The trick is to arc them to mate the drum.
If your are barnyard like me, you have to ink them with a felt-tip marker and them assemble to make a contact patch. Then disassemble and scrape the lining for more contact. Then repeat the whole process. Then repeat the whole process. Then repeat the whole process. Then repeat the whole process.
With a dustmask and vaccum handy. I have an old AAMCO arcing grinder, but it wore out its bearing (or was disabled because of restrictions upon airborn nasties like ASBESTOS). Now that compositions are slightly less hazardous, I intend to resurrect it. Someday.

King

Post by King » Mon Aug 04, 2003 2:17 pm

Hi

In answer to my own question RE: Kevlar brake linings. A while back someone posted this source:

Otts Friction Supply
Portland, OR
(503) 283-4165

they reported complete satisfaction with the linings and service.

Cotton's quite right regarding taking care when grinding on brake shoes or fibre clutch plates. The old stuff was loaded with asbestos.

But even the brand new items can still have it although in a much reduced quantity. From time to time my job leads me to checking out safety issures in motor pools and heavy equipment shops. A few weeks ago I came upon a monster brake arcing machine in a bus depot that was spraying dust all over the place. They had disconnected the vacuum hood and HEPA filter cause the filter had "clogged" and the shoes "no longer used asbestos".

Not true. I examined some new shoes and on one side of the web it said "Non-Asbestos" and on the other side it said "Possibly contains carcenogenic material" on the box it noted "possibly contains Canadian Fibres" all a bunch of lawerese to the effect that the shoes DO contain asbestos.

The sick thing about asbestos is that some people can nearly live in an asbestos fog with only minor problems while others get a minimal exposure and resultant lung cancer, usually 15 to 20 years later. Several instances have been recorded where housewives have come down with asbestosis or lung cancer from just handling and washing their ol man's work cloths.

So I stay on the safe side and when I'm deglazing/truing up the clutch plates, for example, I use wet/dry sand paper and a water mist from a spray bottle. Most modern equipment that grinds on potentially asbestos containing stuff use a wet vac system. But if you generate any dust the only proper protection is a full face resprirator with the approved HEPA filters, the normal dust masks don't catch it all.

Don't mean to be prechin, but folks think the world is now asbestos free--it aint.

King

dirtydistrict
Bikes: 2010 road king at the moment. Won't last long

Post by dirtydistrict » Mon Aug 04, 2003 4:22 pm

Had a look on these dual cam brakes; it seems to be for springer forks only no ?

Kurt
Bikes: 1942 U
1942 WLA
1995 Ultra
2008 Ultra

Post by Kurt » Mon Aug 04, 2003 5:09 pm

Thanks Panhead!

The "Dual Cam" Hydra Glide brake is in the works. I honestly don't know if it will be available this year, we have a lot going on now as it is. I just saw the proto-type WL model Dual Cam, but we're still trying to decide whether or not to put it into production.

Your concerns on the type of material is noted. We are currently working with different materials to see which gives the best performance. I'll keep all informed.

Kurt

Kurt
Bikes: 1942 U
1942 WLA
1995 Ultra
2008 Ultra

Post by Kurt » Tue Aug 12, 2003 12:59 pm

It's looking like after the first of the year. We're still installing the magizine and just today, worked out the final contract problems. Now we can start the build-out for offices and the retail counter. It's going to be a "no frills" layout, so don't expect much. The warehouse is just the logistic center for shipping and receiving and the retail counter will have very limited hours of operation. I'll have a little work space set aside for my own projects, but that's it. When it's ready, I'll post the info on my site with hours open and directions on how to get here.

Kurt

panhead
Site Admin

Post by panhead » Tue Aug 12, 2003 1:04 pm

Thanks, can't wait.....

Mortoys

Post by Mortoys » Tue Aug 26, 2003 8:40 pm

Hello Panhead,
I am new to this site and I hope I can contribute some info as well as receive tech tips and conversation about the old bikes we all love. I am considering building myself a new, I hate to say it, "replica" Hydra style motorcycle. Does anyone out there know of a source for quality repro parts. Fenders and tanks along with some pretty stock style frame replacements etc. This is a scratch build so I want to have the reliability and style built in. Thanks to you all for any help.
45partsdepot (http://www.45partsdepot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) is working on an improved front brake (dual cam).

panhead
Site Admin

Post by panhead » Wed Aug 27, 2003 9:30 pm

Try the links on my site (the Panhead & WL links), like http://www.45partsdepot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , http://www.jwboon.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; etc.

Return to “Brakes”