Mechanical brake to hydraulic

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Yellowpan

Mechanical brake to hydraulic

Post by Yellowpan » Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:44 am

Hi!
Well- the subject speaks for it self, but what parts do I need and how?
Yellowpan

fourthgear

Re: Mechanical brake to hydraulic

Post by fourthgear » Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:15 pm

yellowpan
The anchor points on a mech. and hyd. are differant and the width of rear end is diff. . Its a swing arm thing, thats when HD went to hyd. (1958) I'm sure some one has done it ,but it will take mod.to the frame just for the anchor point among other things . Do you have an org. frame and do you want to alter it ? I'm sure you will get more responses about this . Going to a after market frame would be one choice $$$$. Good luck on it and it can be done I 'm sure , but at what cost?

countershaft

Post by countershaft » Sun Apr 24, 2005 3:28 pm

Yellowpan
Am curious why you want to go to hyd.
on the rigid.Mech. can be done but hope you are not looking for disc brake performance out of hyd.This is my own opinion but with a little tinkering you can get very acceptable brakes out mech.I have increased the the radius on the shoe cam along with meticulos maintenance lightly greasing pivot points
good bushings well grasedalso drilled lower hole in brake pedal to increase leverage these were my mods. and come with no guarentee what you have to worry about with the cam by changing radius is that not to much play be left in shoes to drum as yu could create a stuck brake scenarioonce again altering stock braakes is at best a bit of a walk on the wild side. sorry so long kinda got off track later countershaft

Yellowpan

Post by Yellowpan » Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:18 pm

Hi again!
Well- no problem with brake capacity, but I'm sick and tired of oval sprockets that causes the chain to be stretched to the point of bursting, and on other places the chain is so loose that it's almost could "jump of" the sprocket. I would like to change to an "ordinary" type of sprocket.
Yellowpan

fourthgear

Post by fourthgear » Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:54 pm

Yellowpan
By ordinary sprocket , do you mean one thats not on the brake drum , in other words a disc set up ?

Yellowpan

Post by Yellowpan » Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:51 pm

Hi again!
Yes I mean disc set up, sorry though to change the old bike of mine to look like shit, but as I said I'm sick and tired of the old ones that makes my chain be stretched to the point of bursting. And I have to say, I have try different brand of sprockets, but no one seems to be "round".
One alternative that I have seen on the market are an spacer that will fit to the original hub, on the spacer the sprocket are attached and "you" use the sprocket as an disc brake, with that solution you use an small caliper.
Regards Michael

PS: If any one have any other solutions, please write them here.

caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Post by caschnd1 » Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:38 pm

It may be that your problem is that your brake drum is not round rather then your sprockets. Especially if you are seeing the same results across multiple sprockets. Could also be your transmission sprocket was not made correctly.

fourthgear

Post by fourthgear » Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:25 am

Yellowpan
Chains all have hi and low spots ,you are to adj. at the highest spot ( tightest )just like your primary chain . Are you over tightening the chain when adj. it ? Caschnd1 may have something in the drum being out of round or something in that line , wrong type chain? Out of alienment ? With my 56 , I had to take a link out when it got too streched out, not uncomon.

Yellowpan

Post by Yellowpan » Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:19 am

Hi!
Hi and low spots-yes! And if I adjust the chain at the highest spot-yes!
Overtightening the chain-no, out of alignment-no, wrong type of chain-no!
New drum from CCI- no problemos! New transmission sprocket-no taiwan junk-US Super Duper.
I just hate > > the the sprockets that are riveted to the drum.
Yellowpan

fourthgear

Post by fourthgear » Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:07 pm

Yellowpan
If you look in Panhead thread , Weez is using a PM disc brake set up on an Org. hard tail frame , ask how he set it up . Billy even reminded him how to space it . Good luck

caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Post by caschnd1 » Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:36 pm

The new drum from CCI could well be the problem. Most CCI stuff is taiwan junk. I've heard a number of guys complain about the drums they got from CCI being messed up. I've always used OEM drums so haven't experienced that problem. Paughco makes drums too. Anyone here have experience with Paughco's brake drums?

-Craig

Yellowpan

Post by Yellowpan » Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:06 pm

Hi Fourthgear!
Please help me with the thread about the PM set up, I could not find it, I have tried the search function but I could not find it.
Regards Yellowpan.

CknDnr
Bikes: 1959 Bastard FLH
1989 FLHTC

Post by CknDnr » Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:46 pm

I run a PM front caliper with a 13" disc on the rear wheel. Frame is '52 stock. I used a solid stock HD rim.
Here is a link for the site that helped me out with this setup http://www.fabkevin.com/caliper.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kevin was great to deal with and went out of his way to answer any questions. Send me an e-mail if you need any more information.

fourthgear

Post by fourthgear » Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:10 pm

Yellowpan
Its in the Panhead thread ,under original pan, Weez talks about realiening his PM disc set up and Billy ran him through it. There has to be more parts to it though, you can e-mail him directly and ask how he set his up . Ckndr seems to have it together too,check out the sight he wrote the link for . Good luck .

Billy

Post by Billy » Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:36 am

I just hit hi-lites on Weez's Pan as he has had that PM set-up on his Pan for many years, just been apart a while. So he knows it, just been sitting apart...too long.
Ckn Dnr has a good info link !!

Return to “Brakes”