Create your own blog: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17487

Pan frames and juice brakes

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
roman
Bikes: 58 Pan, several real Indians

Pan frames and juice brakes

Post by roman » Tue Nov 19, 2002 6:44 pm

Got a 58 pan with swing arm. Replaced the rigid frame with the right frame. Problem: The hydraulic brake hose is way too short but it is the correct length (measured old hose samples and new ones). So what can the problem be?I got the axle adjusted way to the front and don't have enough hose to center and adjust.
Could it be the frame? How can I tell a 65 and later from the 58-64.....or any other ideas?

DansPan58

Re: Pan frames and juice brakes

Post by DansPan58 » Wed Nov 20, 2002 1:47 am

What type of swing arm, round or square? Also you may some bogus after market brake lines, that are coming up short. I had a similar problem when I put my 58 together a decade or so back

VintageTwin
Panhead Register Member
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Re: Pan frames and juice brakes

Post by VintageTwin » Thu Nov 21, 2002 3:14 pm

The '58-64 frames steps down after the seat post. The '65 frame does not have this step, because of the electric start aluminum primary and 12 V battery. Look around the right frame gusset. Should be cast "-58". The '58-64 frames have a boss on the frame where the rubber brake line connects. The hose should be long enough to make a counter-clockwise rotation up to the brake (slave) cylinder in the backing plate of the rear wheel. There are backing plates for '58-62 and '62-up. Not interchangeable. Spacers are different.

Return to “Brakes”