Bikes: 1954 FL Panhead
1976 Sporty
1983 FXRT Shovelhead
2000 FLHT TC
2008 Anniversary Ultra

Brake crossover shaft

Post by LittleAl » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:17 am

so do they come in different sizes?

I bought a complete linkage/pedal/mount/crossover off eBay and everything seems right, except the crossover doesn't fit through the frame. At first I thought it was because of some slag inside the tube from welding (just got the frame and it looks like it was re-welded on). I carefully cleaned that out with a dremmel and as far as I can feel it's smooth except for the ridge at the edge of the bushing on the right side. putting the shaft in from the left side I can see the shoulder of the crossover hitting the inner edge of the bushing, not allowing it to pass it.

So the question is, could the crossover be a wrong sized one (did they come in different diameters?) I don't know what year this one came from. Or maybe the bushing (already installed when I got frame) be different? the left side fits nice on the shaft, smooth turning with no slop, it's just the right side...

btw, this is on a 1951 frame

VT

Re: Brake crossover shaft

Post by VT » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:37 am

Vol. 2 could help you out some with the crossover shaft, or you can try bending the right side back to true with an old crossover shaft or similar diameter rod. Wouldn't want to bend the one you just bought.
Careful of the bushings though. You might need to ream them too. Some of the new V-Twin frames have a crossover alignment/bushing ream problem. Mine needed reaming.
The crossover tubes get whacked over the years on the old frames. Go slow. Think about it. You don't want to ream the bushing out too thin on one side or the other.

LittleAl
1976 Sporty
1983 FXRT Shovelhead
2000 FLHT TC
2008 Anniversary Ultra

Post by LittleAl » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:44 am

good advise. I was afraid to damage my "new" crossover and the bushing too. go slow... lol, that's hard for me but I'll try.

Think I'll try working my way through with a pipe a bit smaller then the shaft, wrapped with emery cloth and see if I can't get a fit like that. slowly, right? lol

VPH-D

Post by VPH-D » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:12 pm

The grease fitting on the right side of the tube isn't blocking the shaft is it?
VPH-D

Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:12 am

I had a frame shop fix a broken front tranny mount on my 51, in the process they welded on the crossover tube and left a slagball inside. I wound up removing the bushings to clear the obstruction ,then re-bushing. Fun Fun Fun...Mike

john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '71 Suzuki Duster 125, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:24 am

VPH-D wrote:The grease fitting on the right side of the tube isn't blocking the shaft is it?
VPH-D
good point!

an extra turn on mine will lock it right up!

john

LittleAl
1976 Sporty
1983 FXRT Shovelhead
2000 FLHT TC
2008 Anniversary Ultra

Post by LittleAl » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:35 am

Well guys, thanks for the suggestions and advice.

I used a dremmel to reach as far as I could then a drill with an 18" extension with a small grinding wheel to clean out the welding slag i could feel/see inside the tube. careful not to touch the bushings on either side because when I put either end of the crossover in a few inches on either side it was a nice smooth fit without slop or tightness.

When inserting the crossover from left to right I'd get in about 3/4 of the way, when inserting from the right, about 1/4 so I carefully lined up a steel straight edge as best I could along the tube & sure enough it was slightly bent! I used a 3 foot piece of rebar wrapped with duct tape to fit snug but not tight and greased it up with wheel bearing grease. I drove it through from left to right and right to left again and again tapping with a hammer up, down & sideways from both sides each time it was all the way through the tube. it took about an hour but now the crossover fits perfectly, smooth as silk with no play. I am a happy guy

Thanks again all, for the suggestions

Return to “Brakes”