wagner lockheed bleed problem

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Tejaspan
Bikes: 1948 E model

wagner lockheed bleed problem

Post by Tejaspan » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:04 pm

I'm running a wagner lockheed master cylinder with an inverted bannana clip harley caliper on a disk 73-80 if I'm not mistaken on my 48 pan. I replaced the pads the other day and went to bleed the brakes but couldn't get pressure. Because of the way it is set up when I bleed I remove the rear caliper from the disk and assemble on an old disk of the bike so the bleed fitting is pointing up, this way I get the air out. I bought a rebuild kit and installed. Did not install the metal cup that goes in first before the spring because I thought that this was for drum brakes and would not allow enough fluid to bleed back on a disk set up. Same problem. Pressure checked the lines no leaks. Disassembled and installed metal cup. Get pressure but brake locks up. It's not leaking past the piston o-ring and it appears the metal wheel on the end of the piston is tight enough to press up against the piston as it moves forward in the cylinder. I know I bleed it enough to get all the air out because I went thru a bottle of brake fluid. Any one have any experience or insight on this, it's driving me crazy. I've given all my shotgun shells to my neighbor and told not to give them back to me no matter what I say.

RussW
Bikes: 1961 FL
2007 Kaw. Vulcan 2000

Re: wagner lockheed bleed problem

Post by RussW » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:04 am

The residual pressure valve you DO NOT want to use with a disc brake looks like a rubber coated washer. All other parts in rebuild kit should be installed as stock.

Tejaspan
Bikes: 1948 E model

Re: wagner lockheed bleed problem

Post by Tejaspan » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:39 am

Thanks Russ W, that seemed to work. :D

Return to “Brakes”