Need more help with front brake

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Hauula Pan
Bikes: 1952 FL

Need more help with front brake

Post by Hauula Pan » Tue May 19, 2009 11:07 pm

I need some more help with my glide front brake. After assembling it as follows, 1 grooved washer between the pivot stud and side plate, grooves facing the plate, and one washer under the cam lever on the cam lever stud, the shoes were tilted. I removed the washer from under the cam lever, which helped with alignment, but the shoes still appear off a bit and seem to need a second washer on the pivot stud to make them even top to bottom. Can anyone provide some info. on, is this normal, and how to tell when they are shimmed correctly?? Also does anything go in the center of the side plate or does the axle sleeve butt directly up against it?? It looks like its machined for a bearing but none of the manuals I have show anything there. They also show just the one washer on the pivot stud and do not mention having to add another washer or shim. This is my first encounter with a stock style front brake, always had a disc in the past, so I'm totally in the dark here. It is a complete brake kit from V-Twin so its not actually stock. Thanks, Steve D.

mbskeam

Re: Need more help with front brake

Post by mbskeam » Wed May 20, 2009 12:24 am

It is a complete brake kit from V-Twin so its not actually stock.
I bet the anchor boss is to tall, if you put the top pin in and just snug it up, is the a gap at the bottom where the big sleeve goes?...
and it works the other way, if the bottom sleeve is in is there a gap at the top? then you would shim...

had to grind like 0.050 off of the alum. brake cover, on the top boss

Hauula Pan
Bikes: 1952 FL

Re: Need more help with front brake

Post by Hauula Pan » Thu May 21, 2009 3:51 am

Thanks, before I grind on my side plate I guess I'll try shimming at the pivot stud and leaving the cam lever all the way down on the cam lever stud and check my drum clearance. You'd think that as a complete kit they could at least check that things actually fit before they put it on the market, but once again, that's repop for you. I'm guessing nothing goes in the center either, just the axle sleeve? Even though it looks like the side plate is machined for a bearing I don't see anything in either of my books.??

Return to “Brakes”