Best Carburetor for Panhead

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
jamesn
Bikes: 55 Panhead - 70's style chopper

Best Carburetor for Panhead

Post by jamesn » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:37 pm

Guys, I'm new to the forum and after suggestions, and I'm sure it's been asked many times. I have a modified 55 Pan (60's style chopper) and wanting a new carburetor!

Presently have a 38mm Zenith, has flat spot full throttle around mid range RPM, plus it leaks badly if the fuel tap is left open and sometimes while ridding...I'm over it.

What is the best carburetor and why?

My engine build...S&S Strocker flys & rods, oversize bores, 63 Pan heads - flowed & Andrews valves, double valve springs and Andrews B-Gring cams. 84ci-86ci.

blewcrab
Bikes: 65FL and 2003 heritage

Re: Best Carburetor for Panhead

Post by blewcrab » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:53 pm

u ought to look into S&S super E or G ...u can get them in a JP catalogue.. they come complete with manifold for panhead. ..easier starts than Linkert ,,looks good on a chopper .. if u want an original get M74B LInkert from a web sight called OUT OF THE WILDERNESS ..they sell rebuilt Linkerts for around 4 or 5 hundred..

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:08 am

blewcrab wrote: ..easier starts than Linkert ,,.
Blewcrab!

You mean the S&S will start in less than one kick?

....Cotten

Huck
Bikes: 58 hd
91 hd
09 custom

Post by Huck » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:25 am

I run an SU with a tickler, happy with it.
The E's don't look like they belong on a Pan. my 2 bits
I'd love to have one but a ready to roll linkert will empty your back pocket.

jamesn
Bikes: 55 Panhead - 70's style chopper

Post by jamesn » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:00 am

The bike originaly had an S&S MG L-series with Volocity Stack and Mushroom air cover on it but the previous owner took it off when he found out the value of them. The original engine builder recons it was the ant pants on the engine. Not too may MG around these days and there expensive. And to have the previous owner ring me a couple of weeks ago wanting to sell me the S&S MG L for $600 AUD was slack of him, so in spite I had to refuse his offer.

Therefore I have all the attachments for S&S and or other carbie's, just want ridd of the Zenith as it just doesn't match the build nor does it look as though it supose to.

58flh
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:29 am

Dont go by looks!, (what works is what counts).-A S&S-E will fill your needs on this motor!,& you can run the teardrop or a vel-stack. Also its a trouble-free set-up ONCE you get it there!-check the k-base under S&S!---Good-Luck---Richie 8)

hplhd
Bikes: 1998 heritage springer

Post by hplhd » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:48 am

cv carb. i have one on my pan with no complaints. you can find them cheap.

blewcrab
Bikes: 65FL and 2003 heritage

Post by blewcrab » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:06 pm

Cotton, I meant that the S&S with the accelerator pump,is easier to get the gas to the cylinders .than the Linkert .... I do run a Linkert and after 3 primer kicks I can count on a start from 2 to 6 more kicks....never 1 kick

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:10 pm

blewcrab wrote:Cotton, I meant that the S&S with the accelerator pump,is easier to get the gas to the cylinders .than the Linkert .... I do run a Linkert and after 3 primer kicks I can count on a start from 2 to 6 more kicks....never 1 kick
Blewcarb!

Doesn't your S&S has an enrichener for starting?
If you must dump a puddle of raw fuel into the manifold, something's amiss.

And the same goes for your Linkert, if is not one hot kick (with no crowd standing around).
Linkerts could never have been the standard upon police and military machines for over three decades, if they were inherently difficult to start.

I sincerely suggest testing both manifolds first.

And Jamesn!

It won't help the leak, but your flat spot may very well originate at the manifold as well.
The Bendix was a fine carb.

....Cotten

kevock1950
Bikes: 1950 Panhead chopper
1977 Shovelhead custom

Post by kevock1950 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:41 pm

James:

Pending the replies here, Im gonna go out on a ledge and say the purists will tell you a Linkert, and others will suggest B, E, or G series S&S carb...

Ive run a S&S Super B on my stock and STD Panhead...great carb, but a couple of considerations:

1) The length of the carb body is longer than the "shorty" series S&S carb (E & G). Some guys dont like the longer carb body sticking out of the side of the motor. I never had a problem with it.

2) The Super B carb LACKS an accelerator pump. So, pending the motor, your timing and ambient temps, they can possibly be difficult to start. But, some guys NEVER have a starting issue with these carbs. I did, so I switched to the Super E for the accelerator pump. My motor needed a squirt of fuel, particulary in cool to cold weather. And, no, I do NOT have an intake leak.

3) Since there is no accelerator pump, you must "roll-on" the throttle. Super B carbs do not allow for the "snappy" throttle.

Super E carburetors are recommended for stock motors and Super Gs for big inch applications. The difference between the two are the sizes of the venturis...the Super Gs have a larger venturi.

The choice of the Super E, to me, is a no brainer:

1) They're fairly cheap and can be gotten used for a great price
2) They're one of the simplest carbs to rebuild (other than the Super B)
3) They have an adjustable accelerator pump, so you can turn it off, if you prefer
4) When your bike is tuned and the carb is adjusted properly, it can be a one-kick deal...in any weather
5) You can fab up a few thumbscrews making for easy, seat-of-the pants idle speed and accelerator pump adjustments
6) Jetting is simple
7) '99-up (or is it '94-up? Cant remember) S&S Super Es have adjustable airbleeds, so you can tune-out the possible mid-range flat spot

Some considerations:
1) Some guys experience mid-range flat spots...I never have
2) Some of the more recent carb body castings Ive seen have been rough, IMHO
3) You can purchase and install aftermarket emulsion tubes, bombsights and all other kids of doohickies to possibly "enhance" performance and gas mileage. Ive tried several, and believe them to be snake oil in most stock applications....IMHO

VPH-D

Post by VPH-D » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:25 pm

We have 4 Panheads with Bendix carbs in our immediate family, they start and run well. However, the only reason they are on there is because of our 70s mentality that states all stock carbs are bad because they are stock. We showed them!
As to the carb, other than normal rebuild procedures:
Make sure you have the correct style of main jet for your carb body style, [fixed idle vs changeable idle tube].
that the little check valve in the bottom of the bowl rattles [is loose] before you install the bowl.
that the pump discharge nozzle is aimed to squirt thru the slot in the throttle plate
the pump has the pink leather skirt, not the black one [no joke]
The Bendix is a better carb on the street than the S&S M family, which were pretty much drag racing carbs.
The E is better than the B on the street due to a smaller venturi and the accelerator pump.
VPH-D

PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL custom
58 FL
76 FLH All Original

Post by PanPal » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:57 pm

What kind of exhaust pipes are you running on this bike? After you check the manifold for leaks, if you have straight pipes or long fish tail pipes with no baffle by chance... baffles may help that dead spot. I saw this happen before and all the jetting and carb changes we did didn't make a difference. Temporarily hung some short sportly mufflers on the bike and it ran smooth through the whole range. The owner liked the sound with out baffles but couln't stand the dead spot. sometimes you can't have everything you want.

Any properly set up carb can be made to work. Personally running 1 Linkert and 1 CV until I can pick up another Linkert.

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:41 pm

kevock1950 wrote: .....Im gonna go out on a ledge and say the purists will tell you a Linkert, and others will suggest B, E, or G series S&S carb...
kevock1950!

Its not just the few "purists".
Far more Linkert lovers simply share appreciation for nostalgic hardware... Why else immerse yourself into a half-century-old vehicle?

But for modern chopper tastes, there are many, many fine designs of carburetors to choose from.

....Cotten

kevock1950
Bikes: 1950 Panhead chopper
1977 Shovelhead custom

Post by kevock1950 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:42 pm

Cotten:

Im not knockin' 'em at all...

Id run a Linkert in a heartbeat if I could find one that wouldnt cost me an arm and my left nut...and an intake manifold for Chubble-style STD Pan heads!

Huck
Bikes: 58 hd
91 hd
09 custom

Post by Huck » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:43 pm

S&S E is a good carb, got a couple, they are simple to work on but a dinosaur made for a pinned throttle hand.

If you want maximum tune ability Mikuni is hard to beat.

Personally I’d keep the Bendix .

Return to “Carburetor/Fuel system”