Colony Intake Manifold "O" rings

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Re: Colony Intake Manifold "O" rings

Post by Panacea » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:47 pm

I would remove the improvised "manifold extension" then loosen the heads so you can rotate the intakes toward each other.They look like new head gaskets, perhaps they can still be salvaged. The "O"ring surfaces on the heads should be parallel...Mike

panhead_kicker
Bikes: Pan
FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper

Post by panhead_kicker » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:13 am

Gilb,
The clamp for your o-ring setup is not obsolete. You can still go to your local Harley dealer and buy factory part #27063-57 clamps. Ain't cheap, but they can be had.

58flh
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:05 pm

PK ---Thanks for the part-number!---Richie 8)

58flh

Post by 58flh » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:44 pm

Heres a pics. of S&S clamps & BAND-TYPE SEAL!---RICHIE[---Sorry for the LARGE PICS> ,but I got it right now!-(640x480)-is ideal for my pics. on this site!.--You can see how heavy-duty (so to say) the S&S 1-piece CLAMPS are!---They are .060 wider then stock 1-piece clamps!-& the bolt & strap are heavier also. This results in a unequal pull in a circular motion when trying to tighten them up!. I have made them work ,but you have to shear a sixteenth off the width of the clamp!-& take the bolt-out & heat-it to put a slight bend in it like the Colonys one have. This bend helps in pulling things up more better in a circular motion!-(aroud the clamp!, not half of it).--I dont have any Colony ones to show!,-But with a little patience & the same cut on the width,+ a little more bend to the bend thats already there -The Colonys can be made to work NICE!. If you notice there is a straight bolt on the S&S-Clamp!---& its heavier then a #10 which were stock bolt-size on factory o-ring 1-piece clamps!. This heavier & straight -bolt does not put EQUAL pressure when you tighten the clamp up!-It tends to mash the o-ring tight on the top & bottom because of the unequal pull in a circular motion. My stock clamps are on my bike. & these are the best to use for o-ring manifolds!,Sorry I cant post a pic. for you. The rubberband seals you see are new!-(as Cotton said an 80s thing).--You need not use these on your pan!--I have seen it done & it dont work good.---Leaks come quick even though you managed to seal them using the BUBBLE-TEST!.--I hope this helps you understand whats out there!--I think Panacia showed stock 1-piece clamps from OLD DUDE!.-He also carries the VITON O-rings you should use!!!--The black ones from a HD dealer or colony work ,but wont last long as the fuels we got SUCK!-& now they have added ETHANOL to the already crap P-4 Gas!. USE the Vitons!--Also the needle in the carb. you can get Viton-Tipped!.--I think all are Viton now. Unless your running exotic fuel like Alcohol Nitro--but thats dragbike world!-Another can-o-worms!---Richie 8)

[

[

gilb
Bikes: 42 Flathead U, 53 Panhead, 2011 Roadglide

Post by gilb » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:23 pm

Thanks again everyone for all the info. I have purchased an orig intake manifold for the 55-64 pan, I ordered the orig clamps from my local HD dealer, and I ordered a James gasket set with the brown o rings. What about the gasket between the carb & intake? It comes in the James kit I ordered, but looks really thick in the photos. I noticed other kits that come with multiple gaskets. What is the correct set-up on that? Thanks agin, gilb

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:39 pm

Gilb!

JAMES makes fine replacements for the thick phenolic spacer, as well as the gasket on each side of it.
If your assembly has this omitted, you may need the longer bolts as well as to tweak your carburetor support bracket to mate without stress or bind, in order to install it.

Since this interface cannot be bubble-tested, it is best to arbitrarily grind both carb and manifold flanges to flat. Nearly always, they are warped inward at the fasteners.
WAVYFLNG.jpg
Upon assembly, please avoid torquing the fasteners beyond 13 ft-lbs.

....Cotten
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

blewcrab
Bikes: 65FL and 2003 heritage

Post by blewcrab » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:47 pm

looks like one side of the manifold has been ground down to fit between the heads...they look like one side has more material than the other..if this is so you must get another manifold ,,and if it need grind to fit ,,do both sides evenly,,,also do you have a spacer between the manifold and the Linkert ? I think you need one for the snap throttle adapter to work correctly,,,and lastly you need to grind all mating surfaces flat,,face of manifold,spacer and the Linkert flange..

t-jacobs
Bikes: 64 FLH

Post by t-jacobs » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:14 am

The old dude clamps are wider then factory.

Bigincher
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:38 am

The 'rubber bands' in the photos posted by "58flh" above are for a shovelhead.

Huck
Bikes: 58 hd
91 hd
09 custom

Post by Huck » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:02 am

I think the problem is going to be, why was that done to the manifold? The band topic, I've had a couple different styles on mine, I think I’ve decided I could also seal them with a beer can and a worm clamp. Seems the heavier they are made the more useless they become.

58flh

Post by 58flh » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:37 pm

Huck called it!-(the more heavier the clamp the more useless it is!),Also why was that abortion of 3/16--added to the intake??---My screen is hard to see from scratches & coffee ,dirt stains! :lol: --Yea I know Ill get to it!--Anyway if I look at the rear head it seems that some neat has been removed? I dont know, But it looks like theres more meat on the front head!--Did the builder have a WIDEGAP & was trying to fit that 3/16s of flange on the intake into the rear head or was there something else involved for that addition?? If I look at the Front head on my screen it seems to have more meat on the inlet of the head!--What do you guys think?--I would like to know WHAT the F--K that thing is added on for?--Or should I try to clean my screen! :lol: .--Maybe Gilb could measure the distence between the heads or measure the intake!---Cause somethings not cool there, we could see that much!--Gilb said he has a new intake, I guess he will post if he finds that the rear head has been messed with!--Oh yea BIG-INCHER those are Shovel-bands, I was just trying to show Gilb whats out there & has been done that DONT-WORK on a o-ring PAN.--Anyway what are your thoughts guys? on this subject!--HUCK/, COTTON?, PK?, BIG-INCH?----Richie :?:

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:36 pm

Now that I am on a different PC for a minute, I can see the "extention", Folks,

It looks like a repair.
I would replace the manifold.

Richie!

Those S&S clamps have a fastener that would be too heavy for O-rings;
I believe OEM band clamps were split open in the middle.

Bands were a bad idea even for Shovelheads: The wider area you have to seal, the more places it can leak. To install them upon a Pan means you must severely torture them, or remove and replace a head. Bands fair no better with modern fuels than common O-rings, so they must be replaced as often.
Installed as per the factory (and tested, of course), the O-ring design was H-D's best (until modern aftermarket "plumber's" seals were developed)

....Cotten

58flh

Post by 58flh » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:40 pm

Cotton!---Absolutly,--I was just throwin out there so Gilb or anybody could see whats out there!--I agree that Stock-1 piece clamps are the best you can use in a o-ring set-up!. As I said the Stock ones on mine are the ORIGINALS! & they are giving absolutly no problems!--The ones I found that are ORIGINAL & no good were tightened to the point they stressed so much & I have seen a inlet on a head have a chunk taken out of it!---That customer had no carb. support & just cranked the hell out of em!---I did end-up fixing his bike for him & kept the old-clamps!--I have em someplace :roll: --I figure I will 1-day replace the #10/32 screw & see if anything else needs tending to.,--But I had seen those big-clamps with the bands under them on o-ring panheads!,--The usual complaint from using these HEAVY-CLAMPS is-(I know my timing is spot-on but it takes 50-kicks to start!)--Then they tell you I have to keep a can of ETHER in the saddlebag!-It seems to start easier. :roll: .--I dont have to say --you guys already know!----Im still curious about that intake-extension on gilbs bike!--I hope with the right manifold now ,He wont have any trouble! :!: .---Thats Alot of piping there for a seal!--Who knows maybe the intake was screwed-up & builder tried to save it!--Gilb will post-it when he finds out!--(hopefully going down the road! 8) )---Richie

Bigincher
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:59 pm

58flh wrote:--Anyway what are your thoughts guys? on this subject!--HUCK/, COTTON?, PK?, BIG-INCH?----Richie :?:
I've just been watching and readin this thread, it looks to me like the manifold has been cut down to fit between improperly positioned heads.
There are no shortcuts that work well, so if it was me, I'd find an OEM manifold, and if it doesn't fit between the heads, I'd bite the bullet and pull the heads, replace the head gaskets, fit the heads to the manifold as they are torqued, and bubble-test as I tighten the o-ring clamps. That's really the only way to do it right, and it's not rocket science.
(Why are the heads of two of the head bolts shaved down?-- see pics in first post)

I've been down this road on my chopper--- motor has '41 knucklehead cases with a panhead top end. The heads are the plumber style that have had o-ring adaptors welded in, and done poorly. The manifold is an early aftermarket polished job, which is fine, but the fit is less than perfect. I've spent a good long time fussing with the manifold and o-rings to find that happy place where it doesn't leak. You may cringe to hear that I used radiator-hose style clamps, about 1/2" wide, and they worked.

You asked, so that's my story...! :wink:

Huck
Bikes: 58 hd
91 hd
09 custom

Post by Huck » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:13 pm

I agree with Big inch er except I think the idea was to make the manifold longer. The gasket was slid on the intake manifold nipple for the o ring to shoulder against. I'd like to see a pic of a stock manifold in place.

Return to “Carburetor/Fuel system”