Colony Intake Manifold "O" rings

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
58flh
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Re: Colony Intake Manifold "O" rings

Post by 58flh » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:24 pm

GREAT views!--I to would like to see the manifold in place! & see whats-up---Im sure Gilb will post a pic. & hopefully hes already rollin down the road! 8) ,Gots to go & do more water damage-work in a friends home.--Later guys!---RICHIE

panhead_kicker
Bikes: Pan
FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper

Post by panhead_kicker » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:47 pm

gilb wrote:Thanks again everyone for all the info. I have purchased an orig intake manifold for the 55-64 pan, I ordered the orig clamps from my local HD dealer, and I ordered a James gasket set with the brown o rings. What about the gasket between the carb & intake? It comes in the James kit I ordered, but looks really thick in the photos. I noticed other kits that come with multiple gaskets. What is the correct set-up on that? Thanks agin, gilb
Glib,
Some of the newer gasket kits I have seen contain a thick phenolic spacer with a thin gasket already affixed to both sides; all as a single unit.
I found when piecing together my fuel system that all of the non-OEM style parts were eventually weeded out, in order for every thing to fit and function well together, as originally designed. Of course, I was not looking for "custom" on my bike. I wanted it to perform without having to fabricate parts. So, if that's what you desire, you'll find yourself hunting for OEM /replacing parts in all the different systems of the bike. It can be a challenge and take some time, but it pays off if you want a dependable "old" ride.

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:01 pm

P_K!

The JAMES spacer looks to be "Micarta", and mics out at a generous .253".

The V-TWIN pre-gasketed black plastic sandwich offerings are not fuel-resistant.

....Cotten

gilb
Bikes: 42 Flathead U, 53 Panhead, 2011 Roadglide

Post by gilb » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:01 pm

I am not out riding the Pan, still waiting on parts. They said the clamps from the dealership will be 7-10 days. The manifold is an OEM that has been shipped and should arrive next week and the James gaskets should be here sometime next week, too.

I have 3 1/16" between the heads, all around. There does not look to be any more meat on the front head, they look the same - probably just the photo. The new manifold is suppose to measure right at 3". The old manifold was right at 3" too, but with the mismatch ends. Not sure why they would cut one side down and add a sleeve into the other side. Probably something they had laying around and they attempted to make it fit.

The head bolts are not shaved down, just may look like that in the photo, but not the case.

Is the best way to intall the manifold, to roll the o rings onto the manifold, place between the heads, then roll the rings into the groove, then put the clamps on? I understand the heads must be loosen to get the best fit.

Hope I answered all the questions, thanks again for all the input!.....gilb

panhead_kicker
FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper

Post by panhead_kicker » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:09 pm

Cotten wrote:P_K!

The JAMES spacer looks to be "Micarta", and mics out at a generous .253".

The V-TWIN pre-gasketed black plastic sandwich offerings are not fuel-resistant.

....Cotten
Cotten,
Yes that is a tad generous.
NOS OEM 27412-48 measures ~.2"
The gasket #27411-40 on either side each at ~.065.
The whole "sandwich" required would measure approx ~.33"

Gilb, if you don't already have one, an HD OEM parts catalog will be indispensable!

panhead_kicker
FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper

Post by panhead_kicker » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:19 pm

gilb wrote:...
Is the best way to intall the manifold, to roll the o rings onto the manifold, place between the heads, then roll the rings into the groove, then put the clamps on? I understand the heads must be loosen to get the best fit.

Hope I answered all the questions, thanks again for all the input!.....gilb
Gilb,
That sounds about right. The clamps can be a pain to get inserted.
A lot of folks say to loosen the heads to adjust. My heads move very little. I'd test fit before loosening anything up, just in case you are already in the "sweet spot".

Huck
Bikes: 58 hd
91 hd
09 custom

Post by Huck » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:37 pm

Sounds like you might be in good shape. I just measured an S&S manifold at 2.975 overall, the lips at .095 or so. The pic looked to me like length was added!, which had me thinking WTH? :shock:

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:23 pm

gilb wrote: Is the best way to intall the manifold, to roll the o rings onto the manifold, place between the heads, then roll the rings into the groove, then put the clamps on? I understand the heads must be loosen to get the best fit...
Gilb!

That's the best way I know of,..
but I advise against breaking a headgasket (or base gasket) loose if the motor has been fired and warmed.

When assembling, I just shove them as close together as possible, and that is never much.

...Cotten

Huck
Bikes: 58 hd
91 hd
09 custom

Post by Huck » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:24 am

I fully agree with Cotton on the gaskets, my earlier statement was pretty weak. My thought at the time was to back the bolts off to see if alignment was possible should the gap be too wide on a stock manifold as not to offer a perch for the o rings. I wouldn’t expect either of these gaskets to mate twice. Hope it all works out. That manifold remains a mystery to me.

Return to “Carburetor/Fuel system”