Pan stock throttle and Bendix Carb

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
PanRider
Bikes: 1962 Duo-Glide Panhead
2005 Road King Classic

Pan stock throttle and Bendix Carb

Post by PanRider » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:34 am

I want to run a stock internal throttle on my 62 pan. But the stock throttle "pushes" where my aftermarket throttle "pulls" on my Bendix carb. Does anyone know of modifications that can be done to the carb to work with the stock setup? I see VTwin has an internal throttle that pulls but I haven't heard good things about the aftermarket parts. Anyone have experience with them that can assure going with VTwin would be a good idea? Thanks, Kim

1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Re: Pan stock throttle and Bendix Carb

Post by 1950Panhead » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:19 am

a) switch to linkert
b) run throttle with left handgrip aka Indian style
c) run throttle with right handgrip (teach your brain new tricks)
d) use vtwin parts, most can be made to work.
Jerry

RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:36 am

This has been covered many times here and on every other forum.
Remember that the search function is your friend.
And also that the Knowledge Base is an invaluable tool.
H-D themselves made both type controls, push and pull. See the parts books for numbers. The lightweights all used pull throttles that interchange with the push, and some FLH and Superglide models came stock with them.
See the following pages.
Robbie
viewtopic.php?f=104&t=10012" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hauula Pan
Bikes: 1952 FL

Post by Hauula Pan » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:08 am

I used the V-Twin parts a while back, the 1st one was extremely rough & hung up, after returning it I got a good one. Later when I switched to an S&S carb & needed it to pull I drilled out the rivits & took out the inner spiral, had a machinist friend use it as a template & cut one with the spiral reversed & rivited it back into the sleeve. I later learned I could have just gotten a later model stock one & avoided all that work. Yes this forum & the knowledge base are wonderful & I wish I had known about them back then. V-Twin means well & tries but too often misses the mark, stick with the stock stuff.

58flh
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:35 pm

YEP--The later ones work & you can get them cheap,off a wreck!--Also the old S&S throttle set-ups work great with no mods!--& remember the SHWINN-SHOP is your friend for CABLES!--(you can get any length style & its CHEAP!)-save $40 right off the bat.!--I last paid $12 for a custom length & end set-up,2yrs. back!.---RICHIE

VPH-D

Post by VPH-D » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:20 pm

You need p/n 56220-58 sleeve for pull open action. Kick Start in Michigan also has this part. My younger brother has had the same Bendix on his 49 since 1976, they work well. I have a Bendix on my 57 also.
VPH-D

PanRider
2005 Road King Classic

Post by PanRider » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:27 pm

Thanks for all the replies. I'm new to this site and haven't discovered all the wealth of information out there before asking yet. I'll be paying more attention to the KBase from now on.

58flh

Post by 58flh » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:03 pm

Panrider!---Your going to Like that BENDIX!---Once dialed in YOR GOOD to go!--(just remember It dont matter what carb.--if you have a VAC-LEAK!--The whole bike is thrown-out of sync. & drive you nuts!)---In the K-BASE, COTTONS Virtual Indian for Vacuum-Leak testing!---READ-IT, & USE IT!--ITS a MUST for any MOTOR!---Stay-Safe---RICHIE 8)

PanRider
2005 Road King Classic

Post by PanRider » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:18 am

Yeah, Richie, I've put that manifold test off long enough. Any longer and my leg won't fit in my jeans because of all the kicking to get it started. Got it timed right I'm sure. Adjusted the lifters. But it's still an inconsistent start, an usually longer than shorter. I've had a bendix on a previous pan and it ran so much better with the Bendix than the linkert. Trying to get the bugs out of the bike before I tear it down this winter. This forum was great for fixing my breaks. Got a wheel cylinder from NAPA for half what the aftermarket WC's are going for. Trying to get an internal throttle set up now. I don't know much about them and have never had one apart. VPH-D and Rubone have given me some good information. Question though guys, does HD still carry those parts? GOing to check the local dealer tomorrow but I know they don't work on anything with any age at all so not sure they will even carry the parts. But got to ask.

58flh

Post by 58flh » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:43 am

Panrider!--Hd-Can get you those parts!/They use the same aftermarket v-twin stuff thats in your catalog!--if not on the shelf--pick-up in 2-days!,You may have more luck with a bike/build-shop!---I know thats true for us here in NJ!--HD-stocks oxygen sensors now! :lol: ----Richie

FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:45 pm

panrider,
most of the dealerships do NOT carry those parts, as Richie said the guys at the parts counter have a V-Twin catalog under the counter and they will order them for you.
But, your best bet is to go through one of the parts suppliers for the Harley lightweights (Hummers), as Robbie already mentioned all the lightweights made from 48 and into the sixties ran a "baby" Linkert that used a pull throttle. The spirals are the same but the groove is cut backwards. You can find a nice list of suppliers at the Harley Hummer Club website, here's the link:
http://www.harleyhummerclub.org/parts/index.html
good luck!
Mike

58flh

Post by 58flh » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:06 pm

FLATHEADSIX!---Thanks for the link!,Much obliged Mike!---RICHIE 8)

Return to “Carburetor/Fuel system”