Custom CV Manifold

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
57pan

Custom CV Manifold

Post by 57pan » Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:57 pm

Last year I put a CV carb on my 57. I really liked the way it worked but it stuck out further than the old carb and the air cleaner forced my right leg into a somewhat awkward position. It was especially annoying in cold weather because I couldn't keep my leg up against the tank to reduce the wind. It probably wasn't sticking out all that much further than the old one but I looked things over and decided that it would be possible to tuck the CV back in between the cylinders a little if I could modify the manifold. The S&S two-bolt manifolds aren't that expensive so I figured I didn't have much to lose so I decided to go for it.

The original manifold.
ManifoldStock.jpg
The sectioned manifold prior to welding.
ManifoldShort.jpg
CV carb installed on new manifold.
ManifoldInstalled2.jpg
The result is that now the carb does not stick out as far and my right leg position is back to normal. I haven't noticed any adverse effects of the change - I have put a couple hundred miles on it in 90 deg. weather, which is pretty hot for Michigan (although, I'm sure Craig in Arizona can't wait for the temperatures to get down to 90 ). Anyway, I'm pretty pleased with the way it turned out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RussW
Bikes: 1961 FL
2007 Kaw. Vulcan 2000

Post by RussW » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:48 pm

Looks good. I did the same sort of thing with an SU upswept manifold to mount my CV. Removed about a 1.5" section, rewelded and smoothed out the inner weld with a dremel. Tucks the carb in close and low enough that I can easily remove the carb top under the stock tanks.

john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '71 Suzuki Duster 125, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD » Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:24 am

looks nice, i need to do that to mine.

john

Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:37 pm

57, when mine is ready, just let me know!.... It,s hard to say by looking at the pics, how much did you shorten the manifold? Mine has the screamin' eagle air cleaner so it sticks out far enough to make my foot miss the brake pedal, so an inch would help...Mike

57pan

Post by 57pan » Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:16 pm

It's hard to say exactly how much I removed - about 1.5 inches I'd say.

I bought an extra insulating spacer and gaskets in case I removed too much and needed to space it back out some, but did not need to use them.

Return to “Carburetor/Fuel system”