Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
neilw
Bikes: 1995 Roadking(still brand new)
1991 HD springer
1959 pan (I'm reassembling)
1978 BMW R100RS

want carb with accelerator pump for 59 pan

Post by neilw » Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:16 pm

I'm assembling my 59 FLH pan to original ( not restoring) .The only thing I'm thinking of changing is the linkert carb which doesn't always respond at slow acceleration .I don't like leaving a stop sign making a turn and nothing happens when I twist the throttle ( except I fight to regain my balance).I'm wondering if theres any carbs that are easilly adapted to my pan .I still want to use the same air cleaner.
Neil

beets
Bikes: 56 FL, 07 Goldwing ,91 BMW K75

Re: want carb with accelerator pump for 59 pan

Post by beets » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:04 am

That is not normal for a Linkert. Cotton or another of the tuners should chime in to help you.

awander
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Post by awander » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:12 am

Beets is right. My '52 with Linkert doesn;t have any problems like that.

I am not sure what would cause it, but it is definitely not something that is normal for a Linkert.

Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:14 am

I'd be happy to trade an S&S super E for your linkert , I'm currently running a Kehin CV but would like to try a Linkert. Mike

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:21 am

If your Linkert doesn't respond, then fix it... (see attachment...)

Chances are it isn't all the carb's fault, but a vacuum leak that is giving you fits: http://virtualindian.org/11techleaktest.html
(Please test even the pan cover screws over each intake port!)

....Cotten
"We doan' need no steenking axcellerator pump!"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '71 Suzuki Duster 125, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:39 am

neil

your linkert should run as well as any modern carb if it is in proper working order.

i made the switch from a CV carb back to a linkert last year, my bike has never run better. heed the advice given and check the manifold for leaks and update the float.

the low speed performance on my linkert is as good or better than any carb i have had on my bike. and i have tried all of them except a SU. my top end performance is better than when i had a CV, i beleive this is because a panhead cannot create enough vaccum to fully open the slide on a CV carb. you may be able to get one to work properly by fiddling with the slide spring but that is for people with more time on their hand than me.

the added benefit of staying stock is you get to keep your aircleaner, fuel strainer, steel fuel lines, choke linkage AND your stock throtttle cable.

john
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

steve_wood
Bikes: 56 FLH, 2007 FLHRCI

Post by steve_wood » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:25 pm

Neil:

Is it "choofing" i.e. backfiring through the carb at any point? This is a sure-fire sign that it is occasionally running too lean due to intake leaks.

More importantly, if it is choofing, watch the carb with the engine running. When it choofs, you can sometimes see little puffs of smoke coming out of wherever it is leaking from. The intake tests mentioned above are great for finding leaks in the intake manifold, but if your leak is coming from the carb/manifold mating surfaces those tests won't find them.

Let us know how you make out.

fourthgear

Post by fourthgear » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:07 am

Check out the leak check , get one of Cotten's floats and the carb will run much better , but I have CV 40 's on both my Pans and the 65 is a stroker and they perform , IMO, a hundred times better than any CARB(my 03 ultra with FI ,doesn't count ) that I have had on any Harley . I don't have any shortage of vacuum it seems .

mbskeam

Post by mbskeam » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:20 am

its lean.....

mbskeam

neilw
Bikes: 1995 Roadking(still brand new)
1991 HD springer
1959 pan (I'm reassembling)
1978 BMW R100RS

Post by neilw » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:41 am

Thanks a lot you guys ,I havn't rode a bike in years that had a linkert on it ,I just remember that being a problem on a 59 I had back in 78 .I ride a 91 springer these days ( in warm weather) ,but am re assembling another 59. I think I'm gonna stick with the linkert after all you guys said ..Many thanks
Neil

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:02 pm

Here's some H-D models of Linkert "accellerator pumps".

No moving parts to wear out!
A loose venturi however, can muddy its effect.

....Cotten

FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:11 am

Cotten,
I think I've asked you this before and I'm pretty sure that you said it doesn't make any difference but I'm getting older and I've slept since then.

Does the orientation of the holes in the nozzle make any difference when installing it into the carb, should they face toward the intake manifold or the choke, or to the right or left? I have never checked to see if one of them rotates after installing one, the tension spring should hold it in whatever position you install it.

just wondering........

mike

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:12 pm

Mike!

Although I do not have a copy, apparently the Military 741 Indian literature specifies orienting the holes to face the cutaway in the venturi. This is the only reference that I have heard, and it makes one suppose that there should be some sort of ram-air effect..

Most of our H-D Linkerts do not vent at the the venturi, but from a hole in the side of the body casting. If orientation made a significant difference, then one would think the model that would be most sensitive would be the second from the left in my last photo.
All of the entering air must be metered through the narrow channel at the top on '36-'51 OHV's, and seems quite a restriction.

Later square-top nozzles would seem open to all directions.
(The smaller M53 "Bombsight" model is also shown from the backside to show an odd extra hole up high.)

The design was first introduced perhaps as early as 1912 with the first Schebler Deluxe models, and became universal for motorcycles after 1930. The only explanation that I have for the nozzle's function is attached, from the '43 Armored School handbook.

...Cotten

Return to “Carburetor/Fuel system”