leaky nipple : ) !!!

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
49er
Bikes: 49 el chopper

leaky nipple : ) !!!

Post by 49er » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:09 am

Hey! I got a low pressure regulator that puts out about 8 lbs. manifold still leaking like crazy.but the problem is the niple in the head is leaking. i got a plug for the bathtub and put it directly in the head and the rear is leaking around the threads at the top. is there any glue that will seal it for this summer? what would it cost to get it fixed right? and where? thanks :P

Cotten

Re: leaky nipple : ) !!!

Post by Cotten » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:28 am

49er!

Nipple replacement is as difficult as it can get.
So,
If you want it done right, you must do it yourself.
Seriously.

Some basic observations on the procedure and tooling are included at http://virtualindian.org/11techleaktest.html

Warning number one is that the nipple should be cut and crushed for removal, rather than to tear the casting's threads by un-screwing it.

Warning number two is that some widely distributed replacement nipples are not cut to conformity.
Your best bet is http://www.carlscyclesupply.com/carbair.htm

Note number three is that the suggested sealer SEAL-LOCK "Fluid Weld" requires that any parkerizing upon common modern replacements must be removed where applied.

This goober is great, but has its limitations.
Since P4gas eats nearly anything else, it stands alone at this time.
(There is no evidence that H-D used a sealer, although Indian used something that resembles "White Lead". Maybe.)

The aspect that makes nipple replacement on a '49 even more of a painstaking task, is the matter of peening the rivet to original conformity.

I have yet to figure out that one myself.

....Cotten

49er
Bikes: 49 el chopper

Post by 49er » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:28 am

Thanks Cotton. where can I get a more detailed explaination of the procedure? for instance, how do ya screw the new one in? and how tight? I suppose you then drill through and peen the rivet quickly while the sealer is still in liquid form. correct? peening the rivet is gona pull the nipple tight to that side... also I have cut out things before but it usually goes through and damages the threads in the piece. this should be carefully avoided here though.. I was thinking of a high speed grinder with a cut off disk,and grind rock to thin out the area at the cut........ or mount the head in a lathe, or bridgeport mill and bore the nipple to a paper thin condition and crush it? Carls parts looked beautiful.

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:04 am

Installing the nipple is just one step of many;
I used an expanding collet to drive it in, as a nut with a spacer seems to want to back it out when removed.
The chosen sealer must set up and be pressuretested before another step of riveting into place can be attempted.

I cannot suggest any supplier of this service at this time.
But it is a service badly needed by many!

...Cotten

Return to “Carburetor/Fuel system”