Bendix carb off-idle hesitation

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Don Rudolph

Bendix carb off-idle hesitation

Post by Don Rudolph » Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:25 pm

Hello,
Maybe someone out there can help. I have a 63 pan that I put a Bendix carb on,and it has a nasty off-idle hesitation. I tried a different carb thinking that maybe there was something wrong with it. Same thing. The manifold has new O-rings and gaskets,so I don't think theres a vacuum leak.
The bike starts, runs and goes through the gears fine,it's just when you take-off from a dead stop it and open the throttle it acts like the accelerator pump isn't working ,but it squirts gas just fine.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Don

03Roadking

Re: Bendix carb off-idle hesitation

Post by 03Roadking » Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:35 pm

Hello
I thought someone would jump in here but I will give it a go I am still trying to get my Bendix to run on my pan but I can tell you what to look at
First thing is, are you running stock engine, Heads, cam, ETC.?
Does it go flat when you first start it or does it warm up first
do you have adjustable main jet or fixed?
did you rebuild the carb and I mean soak in carb cleaner blow out every hole with compressed air check everything before you put the new parts in?
the press on caps and seals for the throttle shaft are very touchy if you get them in wrong or nick them with the shaft they will suck air causing a flat spot.
You must have a way of testing the manifold, pressure test @ 15 PSI with liqued soap and water in a spray bottle.
And there are quit a few good posts here on the Bendix you should spend some time reading here also if you can locate a book on the carb it would help

Jerry Flannery
Bikes: 36 knuckle 64 pan 70 sportster

Post by Jerry Flannery » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:34 am

Hey Don, just wandering if you ever solved your hesitation problem. My brother is putting a 65 Pan together with an STD aftermarket motor and is suffering the exact same problem. Although he's using a 38mm Bendix which might be too small. We've just started looking into culprits but thought maybe with some info from you we could cut some corners. Keep it on the rubber and the shiny side up. JT

58flh
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:35 pm

I am running a bendix on my 58- also ran into the same problem!---- If you are running open-dragpipes, stock or mild cam, heres what i did to fix the problem. Clean that carb-real good, I went up 2 jet-sizes, & rebuilt the accelerator-pump. Before i put the carb back on the bike, I filled with gas & cranked it---watch where the shooter is spraying that line of gas! If its to much to the front of the bike take a wrench & turn it where it needs to go. I also am running a S&S intake. I set my pumpshooter to squirt dead center of the back of the manifold. Now cold or hot if im at a lite it idles perfectly, when i twist the wick no stumble or hesitation!! this worked for me. Most important if your running a more aggresive cam you will have to play with jetting the carb till its right. GOOD-LUCK 58flh

Return to “Carburetor/Fuel system”