Problems with attachments solved: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17433

Bendix rebuild kit

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
1poet

Bendix rebuild kit

Post by 1poet » Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:45 pm

Been messin' around w/the Super E, rebuild and all. Short history of the project: '54 Pan, rebuilt motor. I re-jetted down (I'm at 5700 ft) and had ONE amazing 20 min ride... after which she bucked and stove up, like no gas. Got advice to re-route fuel line, check right gas cap, remove in-line filter, etc (vapor lok suspected). Did all these things & confirmed super fuel flow TO the carb. I've got "cough" gas vapor out of the throat with enricher "on" during kick, so much that the air filter will get soaked but no start. Got gas oozing around the bowl. Got spark, got charged/good battery. Got static timing, gaps, etc. Here's the deal: The plugs are not wet !?! Like none of this gas is gettin' to 'em...? PROBLEM # 1.
So, I pulled the ol' Bendix off the shelf got a rebuild kit, cleaned 'er up, and started re-assemble. This is a MID USA re-build kit #82282. Float stop plunger is longer than the old one. Hang tab/wire for plunger on plunger is diff't (twice as long, with a weird upward bend that keeps the float tab from doing its thing). And the leather cup on the accelerator pump is too thick, won't slide up and down.
Of course, I found all of this out AFTER the shop closed on Saturday afternoon. I swapped out the the float plunger, since the old one was still fairly new. But the thicker cup still won't allow the accel pump to move freely. PROBLEM #2.
Anyone know what's up with EITHER of these carb probs?

1poet

Re: Bendix rebuild kit

Post by 1poet » Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:47 pm

That's a MID-USA kit # 82202, not 82282, Sorry 'bout that... it's early, here!

Dan'l

Billy

Post by Billy » Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:29 am

1poet-

(1) Might want to test your intake for leaks, I'm sure you've read that here before. But not drawing-in fuel
makes me think "Leak" .....

(2) not familiar w/Mid-Usa kits. But, I'd use your hang tab-wire.
As far as the plunger being too big. I use a good hi-temp grease on the leather & they slide easily after that.
If you return it, get an "Accel kit", those I know work good.

1poet

Post by 1poet » Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:45 pm

Billy,

When you're right, you're right! I been checking the compression since I first got this new motor running, and was at 65 lbs, steady. Rear Cylinder is now flat, zero, zilch, nada. Won't even give me a "pffffff" when I put my finger on the spark plug hole. Everything seemed cool before, so I was looking elsewhere.

From the way it was acting (off and on), I'm figgering one of the valves was starting to stick as it warmed up. I guess it's time to dive back into the top end, and start the hunt from there.

I really appreciate all the feedback and patience you guys have on here! If I had more time, I wouldn't be so far between posts on the site. Oh well, it's winter and raining/snowing.

Dan'l

Return to “Carburetor/Fuel system”