CV parts

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
kell

CV parts

Post by kell » Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:20 am

I need some stuff for the new (to me) 40 mm cv I'm going to put on my STD pan heads with shovel-type intake. I found an intake manifold adapter at J&P. It looks like the cv just presses in to the manifold, with no screws or anything to secure it?

Things I couldn't find:

Something to operate the choke (the seller kept the cable).
Air cleaner backing plate.
Also I don't want to pay the big bucks for a brand-new air cleaner.
Any suggestions where I can find this stuff? Didn't see these items on ebay.

caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Re: CV parts

Post by caschnd1 » Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:48 am

Kell,

You do not want the adapter from J&P. That one does not secure the carb tightly and is prone to leaking.
I've used both types of adapters and much prefer the press-on type like the one on eBay.

When I buy carbs on eBay, I rarely get the choke cable with it. When guys upgrade to Mikuni's I think they reused the cable. You'll need the cable, the 90 degree elbow, the spring, the enricher valve, and the black plastic cap that threads into your carb body. All these parts are easy to get at your local dealer. Some might be available online.

You'll need to make some mods to make it work but it's duable. You won't need the "mouse ears" that are on this backing plate so you could trim them off. Seal up the holes and run a K&N filter. You'll need the stand-offs that hold the backing plate to the carb (your local H-D dealer) and some kind of cover, or run it without a cover.
Another option is to get creative and make your own backing plate. Use a CV carb air cleaner backing plate gasket as a template to make the opening.

-Craig

kell

Post by kell » Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:26 pm

What's with the oval slot at the top of the venturi. A round hole to the left of that oval slot is a port of some kind to a channel that runs up under the carb top, in the vicinity of the richener. The backing plate must have a channel from that small port. Leading to the venturi, or to the nearby oval slot. I can find out this stuff from somebody and "roll my own" backing plate. The skinny brass hose fitting next to the throttle cable assembly looks like VOES, should plug it up.

caschnd1

Post by caschnd1 » Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:37 pm

Are you referring to the slots on the backing plate? Those are for providing vacuum to the top end on a TC88. They breath out the heads and this is a EPA/clean way of putting any oil mist back into the motor and not out on the road the way our bottom end breathers do. You could leave those two "mouses ears" on this backing plate. I don't think they'll interfere but you'll need to close off those slots so that you dont have unfiltered air coming in. I'd probably fill them with epoxy.
Another thing I noticed... there are some "dowells" on the backside of the backing plate where it attaches to the carb. This plate is made for a EFI bike so the EFI body must have holes for these dowells. You'll need to remove these to use with your CV.
Sometimes it's just easier to make what you need yourself. ;)

-Craig

kell

Post by kell » Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:02 pm

caschnd1 wrote:
Are you referring to the slots on the backing plate?
I don't have a backing plate to look at or refer to. I'm referring to things on the carb.
Most important is that round hole that I'm speculating connects to the richener, but whatever it is, I need to know what to do about it. If I just machine a round bushing, it will block that hole.

caschnd1

Post by caschnd1 » Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:18 pm

Kell,

If you have a friend with an Evo, have them pull the air cleaner cover and filter so you can get a look at how all that fits together.
I'll try to take some photos tonight that will show what I've got for a backing plate and help you figure out what you need to do.
The brass hose fitting near the throttle linkage is for VOES. Plug it.
You *can not* just plug the hole where the enricher goes. You need to put in the proper pieces or the carb will not run correctly. There is a valve that goes in there and is controlled by the enricher cable.

-Craig

kell

Post by kell » Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:05 pm

caschnd1 wrote:
You *can not* just plug the hole where the enricher goes. You need to put in the proper pieces or the carb will not run correctly. There is a valve that goes in there and is controlled by the enricher cable.
-Craig
I wasn't talking about the hole for the cable.
There are four holes on the machined surface of the carb where the backing plate goes. Three screw holes and one port. I was talking about that port.

Billy

Post by Billy » Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:34 pm

4th hole is the carb vent.
"A round hole to the left of that oval slot is a port of some kind to a channel that runs up under the carb top, in the vicinity of the richener".
If I understand U correctly: This is the slide signal port, to raise the slide as the motor demands.

jackrocks

Post by jackrocks » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:16 pm

Yes, the 4th hole is the vent for the float bowl and you don't want to block it off. The oval port at the top of the venturi uses the incoming air velocity to raise the slide, you don't want to block it off either.

caschnd1

Post by caschnd1 » Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:16 am

Here is a link to a photo of my backing plate. You can see the hole for the vent and also notice the port for feeding air to raise the slide is not blocked by the backing plate. Sorry the picture is a bit fuzzy.

This photo shows a different angle on the backing plate. It shows the frame work used to attach the air cleaner cover. The air filter goes around the frame work. Also shows my feet ;D

This is the air filter element I use. It's a cotton K&N type filter that you oil. I just cleaned it so no oil on it yet.

Air cleaner with the cover installed. You can see the simple support bracket running down from the backing plate to the top case bolt. You need a good support so the carb won't pop off the adapter and/or tweak the intake.

Hope that's helpful Kell.

-Craig

Billy

Post by Billy » Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:02 am

Craig-

Nice job !! Looks good. thanks for posting yer pics.

PS: nice boots. ;D

caschnd1

Post by caschnd1 » Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:50 am

Billy,

LOL! The boots are my 7 year old RedWings. My wife can't understand how I could possibly wear the same pair of boots everyday for 7 years. She and I definitely come from different planets when it comes to that subject. But then she's got almost 50 pair of shoes in her closet. ;D
A gotta do something about the wear marks on the left boot caused by the shifter rubber. LOL

-Craig

Billy

Post by Billy » Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:08 am

Craig-
I hear ya, my OL has a pair of shoes to match bout every outfit she has.. : (different world)
Nice thing about Redwings (I have a hi-mile pair as well) you can stop by anywhere they sell them, & get a *free* waterproofing/polish job on em..
for a possible remedy to your boot marking, add a heel-toe shifter...(just a thought) ;D

Return to “Carburetor/Fuel system”