Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Red55FL
Bikes: 1955 FL on a 54 frame
2012 Heritage Softail Classic

Gas tank prep & sealant

Post by Red55FL » Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:54 pm

Guys
I am in the process of ordering parts for my bike. One of the things that I am ordering is a 5-gallon Fat Bob tank. Getting rid of the 883 Sportster tank that the previous owner installed.
This may be a dumb question, but why would I need to use a Kreem gas tank Prep & Seal Kit?
Over the years I have built, repaired and modified many gas and diesel fuel tanks. We never sealed any of them and never had any problems with leaks or paint pealing off of them.
What is special about motorcycle gas tanks that they have to be sealed? Am I missing something?
In my mind, I should be able to test the new tanks with 3 to 5 psi of air pressure, spray them down with soap suds and if there are no leaks, paint them and mount them.

Thanks for the help
Red

Cotten

Re: Gas tank prep & sealant

Post by Cotten » Sun Mar 13, 2005 1:57 am

Trust your instincts.
A sealer is just one more thing to go wrong.

Red55FL

Post by Red55FL » Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:05 pm

Cotten
Thanks for the reply. I couldn't see coating the inside of the tanks with something that might come off and end up in the screen, filter and carb.
I will save that $ 25.

Thanks
Red

countershaft

Post by countershaft » Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:07 am

Red
A guy brought a shovel in to me one time that had creamed tanks installer must have put gas in to quick looked like egg drop soup in there spent two days cleaning the mess up.I think the companies are worried bout there welds fast production and such.
To me, keepin tank full in off season best prevention for rust.I agree with Cotten.
Later Countershaft

junker

Post by junker » Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:04 am

If you do know anyone going to use it make sure they use the tank prep first.know someone who did not and he had a big plastic tank floating inside his tank.it would not stick to the inside of the tank or else it came loose.

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:32 am

Just to be clear about one thing:
There IS a time and a place for everything, even sealing tanks. But when that time comes, such as for a soldered VL or Indian tank or something else priceless to you,...
Most auto radiator shops can install a thin reddish lacquery coating that withstands the worst of fuels (so far).
And you can't beat the price and convenience.
These reddish compounds may very well be available under the tradenames of "RedCote" or "Randolph's", I dunno. I won't worry about it as long as I can farm the process out so cheap an' easy!

Red55FL

Post by Red55FL » Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:27 am

I could see where there might be cases that it would be necessary to coat a tank with some type sealant. If it were a valuable tank and welding on it would devalue it or if it was just flat to thin weld.
The more I thought about it, the more I think that with a new tank, it is just like Cotten said, "one more thing to go wrong".

Thanks Help Guys
Red

Rammy

Post by Rammy » Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:47 pm

I used the kreem stuff in my 51 tanks because they were very rusty inside from years of storage. I took them out back and stuck the sand blaster in the fill hole and put a sand storm to them . Then followed the directions closely on the kreem stuff . It`s lasted well for 3 years now , just as good as when I did this. I think people don`t follow directions well..... :-X I think like Cotton said every application is diff.

Return to “Carburetor/Fuel system”