Installing intake manifold nipples

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Rainjester

Installing intake manifold nipples

Post by Rainjester » Sat May 29, 2004 7:45 pm

I removed the manifold nipples for the plumbing style panhead setup and have a new set of nipples coming in. As for the removal, I obviously did it wrong and was supposed to not back them out, but dremel cut them, then collapse them so as to not damage the threads.
My question is: Does anyone have any documentation on the net or have instructions that shows how to properly install these nipples? I've got some of my own ideas but figured I'd find out how others do this so I don't making a costly mistake.

jesters-

Cotten

Re: Installing intake manifold nipples

Post by Cotten » Sun May 30, 2004 1:53 am

I have posted a very brief, and somewhat dated, discussion many times before (http://virtualindian.org/11techleaktest.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), but I know how easy it is for any of us to miss info.
At any rate, you will see a homemade cam-action anvil (there are no commercial tools available that I know of), that is critical for when it comes time to peen the rivet.
Note that rivets must often be custom-cut; The Colony offering is just gross.

The jury is still out on sealers; "Fluid-Weld is miraculous, but it cannot bond to parkerized nipples or corroded bores. Blasting is apparently necessary for using nearly any sealer successfully.
Large gaps require even more than "Fluid-Weld", and the whole world is up for tested suggestions.
Sillycone has been tested, for sure! But proven only to be a bandage, and soon to re-light the fuse. Permatex, Yamabond4, and many other bubble-gums have fallen to te digestive P4gas that eventualy all of us must face.
This is not an easy task. I have done more than I can count, and they still bite me occasionally.

Rainjester

Post by Rainjester » Sun May 30, 2004 2:45 am

Actually the part I was concerned about is the actual step of twisting the nipple in. If the threads are perfect, what tool would you use to get the nipple in without damaging the outer thread? I can't imagine that it would ever go all the way in by hand. This is the part that I was looking for information on that I hadn't read anywhere.

jester-

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Sun May 30, 2004 3:13 am

I use an internal expanding collet, made from some salvage scrap of unknown origin. (Pics when I can..)
Most commonly a manifold nut with a spacer inside is used, however there is a great tendency to back out the nipple when removed.
Your intuition is accurate; this is a critical problem. And it is unlikely that HD aftermarket tool sources will tackle it.

Rainjester

Post by Rainjester » Sun May 30, 2004 3:34 am

That's exactly the idea I thought of, using the old manifold nuts with spacers to gently put them in with some kind of lubricant or anti-seize. Thanks Cotten.

jester-

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Sun May 30, 2004 12:27 pm

I think you want to apply more than 'gentle' torque! Certainly careful torque, but get them as tight as possible.
The threads never seal; the sealing surface is the flat back of the larger portion, and it must contact the head as completely as possible.
Knucks have a thin lip on the head, that seals well, ,if intact, but Pans have a wide flat around the threaded bore that allows minor blemishes to leak to the heads. This make a sealer imperative. Dress the head as smooth and flat as possible.
As I noted before, the Colony O-ring is such a joke, it is an insult. So is the gargantuan rivet that they provide.
Normally a sprocket rivet does better, especialy ti the heas is tapered slightly. If the rivet hole is egged or enlarged, you aught to custom-cut something.
Those who aren't concerned with depreciateing their heads and plan on O-ring conversion nipples should just cap the rivet hole with epoxy or J-B Weld.
I found that if I removed the parkerizing from a Colony nipple, it turned in farther and much easier. Note also that nearly every one needs some slight trimming of the inside threads. (At least they are not too short!)
If you use the nut/spacer method, you should allow the sealer to set up throughly before attempting to remove the nut. Hopefully the sealer will retain the nipple so it does not back out.

Return to “Carburetor/Fuel system”