Thanks for post feature available again: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17581

Need help: CV carb & electronic ignition

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Termite

Need help: CV carb & electronic ignition

Post by Termite » Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:32 am

Ok put your thinking cap on and help me through this. I'll go with a CV carb. I just need to update the bike a little so i can hang with them. See i like to putt they like the long rides. I'm not looking for high performance i can buy that i just want to update the old dude. An external throttle is ok.
For this carb what intake? I tell ya what. Can you give me a list of parts to purchase? And we can go from here. I'm sending off for a new belt drive this week. Have a new clutch in a box somewhere.
What is your preference for a Electronic ignition?

Thanks

Termite

Re: Need help: CV carb & electronic ignition

Post by Termite » Thu Jun 17, 2004 2:13 am

Heh, ok back, Had to go to Atlanta Ga. I'm a trucker, I pull doubles out of St. Louis to Nashville Tn. 5 Days a week and i meet a Atlanta driver there we switch trailers and go back home. He had a doctors appointment and run wasnt covered.

There wont be any leaks, i lovingly take care of this bike.
A bigger motor pully. Is there a link or size you recommend? I had a 54 Pan back in the 80's and it hung with most of them, but these guys with the 5 and 6 speed tranny's well you know what i mean. I wont take long trips with this bike a poker run or 2. I put enough miles on my body during the week.

Ok i can buy this or these CV carbs right know for 150.00 27088-95 27504-96 27413-99 Brand new in box.

I'll start slow there is no hurry on this project but do want to get parts soon for project.

Pulley and carb

Thanks Bro!!!

Billy

Post by Billy » Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:03 am

Termite, any time you change an intake, there is a BIG chance of an intake leak. It doesn't matter how well you care for your scoot. I'd say Everyone here seriously cares for their scoot. But You can't know unless you "Pressure Test" it. With dish soap.. Trust Me Please. Cotten has a link to more "in detail" to describe the test. As many here can confirm this fact. After finding their own leaks...

$150 for a new CV. Too much $$ for me.
My latest CV came with the K&N
Screaming Eagle Air Filter & Chrome "old style Air Cleaner $50. For ALL..
from a new bike take-off, barely used. ;)
So these things add up.

Your figures:~~~~~~~~~~~~$150. CV
K&N Air filter/Backing plate~~~ $100.
Chrome 'ol style cover~~~~~~~$45.
Adapter to make it a 2 bolt~~~~$29.
----------
$274. Your $$
My figures~~All above except adapter $50.
Adapter to convert to 2 bolt~~~~~~~$29
------
$79. My $$
This doesn't include intake manifold, handlebars, external throttle & cable, etc...........$$$$

Termite, Strongly suggest you look up in "Panhead" Chain or belt. Good info right there..You even got Jack,
doing his calculations on Speed & ratio's. Which He is A Master at!!!
Must Read!!! Before you buy any Belt Drive...

Termite

Post by Termite » Sat Jun 19, 2004 6:48 am

ok doing homework!!

Billy

Post by Billy » Tue Jun 22, 2004 7:50 am

CV Carb tuning Basics:
Start with the idle mix at 2 turns out.
They can be tuned similar to the S&S E, except that the accelerator pump can't be turned off. So simply remove the 4 screws holding the bowl on. It's O-ring/no gasket & gently lower bowl.
Accelerator pump rod will be hanging from the body above. gently take it off. It's just an "L" upside down sticking in. Watch where it comes from. Cause it will need to go back there. Then re-install carb bowl. Now your accelerator pump is off, & Just as S&S E you can
give the warmed up motor a quick rev, if it coughs & is fully warmed up. Go up 1 jet size on the intermediate 'slow' jet. & re-rev. If it hesitates & no cough, you are there.
If you start out with no cough, go down 1 jet size, & re-try. Repeat & When it coughs, & you go up 1 size that should be perfect. The idle mix can be adjusted as described in S&S "E"
Re-install the accelerator pump-rod.
For main jet You would do HI-Speed Plug chops. Same as S&S E.
In other words, go to a nice stretch of road [no cops] & install new plugs. Never tighten a spark plug "tight" in a hot motor!! When motor cools & contracts, it can pull the S. Plug threads....

57stroker

Post by 57stroker » Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:39 pm

Most of the butterfly Keihin carbs had the accelerator jets aimed at the side of the throat instead of down the center. This would cause the engine to cough at low speeds (going around a corner, taking off from a stop, etc.) Easy fix, just turn the jet with a wrench. I've only played with a couple of CV Keihins on new bikes. Good carbs, especially for the price. The float level was off on both from the factory. They would trickle fuel from the overflow when idling on the kickstand. Just a couple more things to look for....

Billy

Post by Billy » Tue Jun 22, 2004 5:18 pm

That's where the term "Keihin cough" began. With the butterfly Keihin.
Yes correcting the pump direction was an easy fix.
But a CV, having the float 'off' is something checked automatically, as they are mass produced & assembly-line installed. Taking nothing for granted..

shaker

Post by shaker » Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:03 pm

termite!!, how did you get such a gravy run , from st, louie to hillbilly hollywood, i live close to nashville can't get nothing that good , i have to drive otr for wally world in hoptown , never get home ,do good to put 2000 miles a year on a bike , if you wan't to get rid of that old linkert 74B i might meet you at the flyin j at clarksville and take it off your hand's ;) shaker.

Termite

Post by Termite » Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:08 am

:) Well being no. 2 in senority helps!!! I go to exit 19 on I-24 that old Phillips TS and wait for Alanta driver to show up. I get paid 580 miles on the turn. The only bad part is Paduka Ky. rush hour traffic lol. A nice country drive it is. I leave St. Lou at 7:30 am and get there a little after 12 noon and get back at terminal around 6pm. Its a blast really UPS-Fedex Freight- Overnight-R&L -Watkins- drivers go to the same spot as i do and if it clicks right we all run together alot on 80 channels below 4. Some leave before i do so we use our cell phones to call our running buds of speed traps. They all give me a hard time, and play dirty tricks on me, but i give it right back 10-4?

Anyway after reading about my thoughts on upgrading the bike. I remebered when i had a 89 FLH and was trying to make it look like the old bikes. Now i have another old bike, I thought the hell with it. I like the way it is and the way its set up if my brothers and friends dont like it they can just go on. I'll be there a little later. :)

Billy thanks so much a great starting point, if i do the changes i will be ready. Been reading the forums alot and the insight of all members here is overwhelming.

Thanks!!!

Termite

Post by Termite » Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:30 am

HeH, who said never say never. Billy or friends i bought a CV carb. The guy sent me a 2 bolt adapter. I have a 4 bolt manifold. I also purchased an old style air cleaner for it.

What type of manifold do you guys recommend?
The adapter is from Drag Specialitys part DS-289219 ses CV Carb manifold adapter. Also what kind of support bracket have some used to stablize this carb?

Thanks so very much!!! :)

Termite

Post by Termite » Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:31 am

Ok nevermind i got it, have one for an old S&S B carb I'll make a bracket.

Return to “Carburetor/Fuel system”