Plumber intake leakage

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
venny

Plumber intake leakage

Post by venny » Sat Nov 13, 2004 6:26 am

What is the best way to seal the plumber intake on my 51 pan.leaking bad.

Cotten

Re: Plumber intake leakage

Post by Cotten » Sat Nov 13, 2004 11:09 am

Venny!

First be prepared to thoroughly test the entire assembly, as it can leak other places than just at the manifold itself: http://virtualindian.org/11techleaktest.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(With Pans, you must even test the pancover screw over each intake port!)

If the nipples, rivet, and other concerns prove airtight, but the manifold is wavy gravy so the brass sucks, literally,...
then: http://virtualindian.org/9techpeek.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(Note the price has gone up to $60 per pair over the last five years because of the rising cost of PEEK. I still charge $20 to re-cut and prep the manifold.)

Anyone with a lathe and a chunk o' PEEK can do it!

King

Post by King » Sun Nov 14, 2004 1:34 pm

Hi Venny

My advice is pressure test as per Cotten's article then you will know the source of the problem. With mine there were leaks not only around the manifold seals but around the nipples and rivets as well. Then, with that figured out send the manifold etc off to Cotten for the PEEK seals.
I messed with my 51 for almost a year after I got it trying to seal the plumbers with no success. I should have known the set-up was shot from the chisel marks on the nuts that one of the previous owners had cut trying to tighten them. He must have been the same idiot that cut the inner primary in half to remove the motor and then brazed the thing back together!!
I followed the current wisdom of the times (30 years ago) and converted to the rubber O ring manifold, rebuilt the Linkert, and cruised on. But today I would stay original using the PEEK seals.
While you are in that neighborhood I would give the Linkert a good look-over also. Air leaks around the throttle shaft bushings, the venturi insert, and grooving where the throttle plate contacts the bore will also play hap with your performance.
Good to hear another 51 is on the road!

King

venny

Post by venny » Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:17 am

hi guys,thanks for your quick replys.cotten what is the cost on your testplate?venny

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:02 pm

Mbskeam makes plates: Manifold plates
I use mostly big rubber stoppers, particularly when testing the nipples individually.

Return to “Carburetor/Fuel system”