Problems with attachments solved: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17433

Plumber manifold replacement

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Arthur

Plumber manifold replacement

Post by Arthur » Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:21 pm

I am replacing the brass ferrules on my plumber-type intake manifold. The spigots show some wear, but that seems to be common. How do you determine whether a manifold is worn enough to need replacement? Thanks.

Sidecar

Re: Plumber manifold replacement

Post by Sidecar » Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:55 pm

Since I have o ring intakes I can not advise how to tell but if Cotten or Billy look at your post I am sure they can.

What I can offer is to not convert them to o ring. I wish mine had not be done but it happen before I got the bike. In do time I will be going back to plumbers intakes but that means finding a decent set of head ($$$).

Good luck,

Tracy

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Sat Jan 15, 2005 3:30 am

Arthur!
Brass ferrules need to be annealed, and an ideal match to work, and sometimes that is nearly impossible, even with an NOS manifold. Any wear at all means grief.

The solution that is becoming more and more common is to re-cut the manifold true again, and custom-cut ferrules from a thermoplastic called PEEK that is much more forgiving.
(But the stuff ain't cheap.)

I believe Clete Borchard ("Old Dude") and Carl Olson are two in the H-D world that are cutting them; The Indian world has been practicing it for some time now.

The bottom line with any assembly you choose is that you will find it prudent to pressuretest it with soapsuds.

Billy

Post by Billy » Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:31 am

My advice would be, listen to Cotten.. I do..
I had him check & fit my intake w/PEEK. Very Happy that I did. This is not an area to cut corners on..
a bad intake leak can burn a hole thru a piston$$$Ouch.

I see that Mbskeam has "Pressure Testing Kits" available in the "For Sale" section.
If anyone doesn't have the tools/etc. to make their own.
Very good Idea, Nice set-up...

The Important thing IS Testing.. Not guessing..

Arthur

Post by Arthur » Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:20 am

Well then, I should start by getting a new manifold, because mine has significant taper at one end.

Kick-Start sells reproduction manifolds; does anyone have experience with those? I’ve purchased parts from them before, with no complaints ... except that they don't have a web site.

headhog

Post by headhog » Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:57 pm

This is in reference to Tracys post. If he has the panheads already converted to o-ring style. I can remove the o- ring fitting, repair the threaded bore and re-fit it back to the plumber style fitting. HEADHOG. http://www.headhog.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rammy

Post by Rammy » Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:07 pm

I also had Cotton redo my plumber intake and size it up with the Peek rings , I noted that the assy. went together nicely and sealed leak free without having to tighten the nuts too much....its the way to go ;)

Return to “Carburetor/Fuel system”