A simple menu for the gallery has been added: Menu for Gallery

CV carburator

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Bikes: 1952 FL

CV carburator

Post by doug_heisel » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:07 pm

This weekend I went to a rally. had to be trailered home. something went wrong with my C.V. carburator and all the fuel ran out of my tanks and filled my jugs. I can only assume the needles got stuck open, and allowed the fuel to flow. I pulled off the bowl and the float didn.t appear to be sticking. but then niether didi the needle valve. after I got it home I took it appart again and checked it out everything still seemed O.K. and when I put it back together It worked perfectly, I've since flushed all the oil/gas out of the bike and rode it 50 miles. I will be flushing it out again before any further riding. My questions are, has this ever happened to any one else. Is this going to continue to happen. What can I do to fix this. I've decided to startusing Marvel Mystery oil in my gas to help keep the engine and carb oiled up.

Re: CV carburator

Post by Ohio-Rider » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:48 pm

I can’t say for sure what happened to your carb Doug, but it sounds like something stuck the needle valve open and while you where disassembling the carb, what ever it was got free. Probably will never happen again, but of course I’m the optimistic sort.

Not to rub salt in your wounds , but that Linkert I got from you has been working like a charm all year. If you want to try an S&S on your bike, just let me know and I’ll send you one of mine to try out. If you like it, keep it.

Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Re: CV carburator

Post by FlatHeadSix » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:35 pm

The best guarantee that you can give yourself that it won't happen again is a good fuel valve that positively shuts off the flow of fuel from the tank when the bike is parked. The 2nd item you should have is a good filter to keep the inevitable trash out of your needle and seat.

Return to “Carburetor/Fuel system”