Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
awander
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

air cleaner backing plate rivets installation

Post by awander » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:10 am

I am the (somewhat) proud owner of a new set from Colony, their 2666-5 AIR CLEANER BACKING PLATE RIVET REPLACEMENT KIT.

The kit includes 4 parkerized rivets, along with a concave punch that fits the rivet heads.

I am wondering ow to accomplish the installation-Should I put the rivet through the backing plate, rest the (unpeened) end on an anvil of some sort, and use a hammer and the concave punch on the rivet head?

Or would it be better to clamp the concave punch in a vise, set the rivet head onto the punch, with backing plate over the rivet, and peen the end of the rivet over with a hammer?

james
Bikes: 2003 FLHRCI
1952 FL

Re: air cleaner backing plate rivets installation

Post by james » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:44 am

Im saying put the punch in a vise like replacing fender rivets but lets here what others have to say.

Jim

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:04 am

Andy!

The dimpled tool is best used for the anvil, no doubt.

I use a very long pointed punch in the center of each rivet end to spread it, and then a very long flat punch to clinch it. But I have never tried Colony's.

Loose originals that will not peen wick in silver-solder nicely.

....Cotten

awander
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Post by awander » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:45 pm

Jim, Cotten:

Thanks for the replies. I was leaning toward doing it that way, and your encouragement was what I needed.

I found out when I got the old rivets out that the holes were considerably oversized.

I used the "pointed punch, then flat punch" technique recommended by Cotten, and got them in pretty good-but I was still worried about having them come loose. I was tempted to try the silver solder, but then I realized that if I was going to do that, I should have cleaned the parkerizing off the rivets first.

SO I hit them with the MIG welder. It doesn;t look pretty(none of my welding jobs ever do...), bit it will hold. And teh ugliness is all on the inside.

BTW, I am 99% sure the backing plate is a repo, otherwise I wouldn't have welded it.

Return to “Carburetor/Fuel system”