Frame shop to go over a v-twin frame

j**r**m
Bikes: 55 panhead, 64 panhead, 07 springer classic

Frame shop to go over a v-twin frame

Post by j**r**m » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:23 pm

Hi folks I recently acquired a never used 55-57 v-twin frame real cheap and was wanting to know of a good frame shop that can make sure everything is welded where it should be and aligned right and possibly weld the hardware on for the solo seat too. Any help is appreciated thanks

Scrap
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1957 FL
1980 FLT
74 FXE
2017 road glide
1971 Bonneville

Re: Frame shop to go over a v-twin frame

Post by Scrap » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:09 pm

I'm no expert, but when I was at the HD dealer last month, a pick up truck pulled up carrying a shovel in an aftermarket frame, not sure who made it,...not stretched or raked....While he was riding, both front down tubes fractured about six inches below the welds! How he was able to bring it to a stop without getting off is beyond me. Did he torque the daylights out of something to make it fit? I have no idea, but it raised the hair on the back of neck thinking about aftermarket frames. I'm sure there are good ones, but has anyone seen this type of failure on a factory frame? Again, this did not fail at the joints, both tubes fractured at the same place, there were no cracks, no rust on the edge of the break, not a clean break, a jagged fracture as if you whacked an icicle on edge of something. Maybe it was made of cheap imported steel?

j**r**m

Post by j**r**m » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:11 pm

Man that could have been a really bad deal for that guy besides his frame cracking..... I have never seen or heard that in my years of riding. All the more reason I wanna have mine gone over by somebody qualified to do frames! And we do have some really bad roads due to the oilfield traffic in this part of Texas where I live! I have read post in the past where guys were complaining about stuff not lining up on the v-twin rigid frames so I feel like it needs to be checked out. It's not a bad looking frame at all.

Scrap
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1957 FL
1980 FLT
74 FXE
2017 road glide
1971 Bonneville

Post by Scrap » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:45 pm

j**r**m wrote:Man that could have been a really bad deal for that guy besides his frame cracking..... I have never seen or heard that in my years of riding. All the more reason I wanna have mine gone over by somebody qualified to do frames! And we do have some really bad roads due to the oilfield traffic in this part of Texas where I live! I have read post in the past where guys were complaining about stuff not lining up on the v-twin rigid frames so I feel like it needs to be checked out. It's not a bad looking frame at all.
Are you going to have it x-rayed?

Bigincher
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:18 pm

Wasco Frame has all the fixtures, jigs, etc, for checking or locating all the tabs, mounts, brackets, etc.
He's had several V-Twin replica frames across his table. What he tells me, is there are no two alike. Some are fairly decent in areas, while others are horrible in the same area but decent in other ways. Just no consistancy.
Just a word of caution here--- avoid the replicas from Sweden at all cost...!! Like the V-Twin, they 'look nice', but are much much worse than the V-Twin offering...! NOTHING fits...!

Give Dick at Wasco a call.........

http://www.wascoframe.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

j**r**m

Post by j**r**m » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:54 pm

Bigincher thank you for that information sir. I will give those folks at Wasco call

old.wrench
Bikes: '54 FL and a mini-bike

Post by old.wrench » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:08 pm

j*r*m, I've done some work with two of the V-Twin frames. They were both the cheaper, '48-'54 wishbone models. One was actually pretty good, but the other had some alignment issues with the brake crossover tube and the cross tube for the rear fender mounting. I didn't "see" any structural issues with the welding on them. For the money, they're not bad frames. They are not on same level of accuracy as the frames from RFE (at least what I've seen from photos), you pretty much get what you pay for. I would definitley recommend not only checking alignment, but also doing a mock-up with all the parts you'll be using prior to any painting, but you'd be doing that anyhow no matter what frame your using. On kind of a side note: the V-Twin frame actually "felt" heavier than a stock original frame. I know that's not a very scientific assessment, but I do know that at least the V-Twin fender mount cross tube is made of heavier wall tubing than on the original factory frames.

Best Regards,
Geo.

hplhd
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1998 heritage springer

Post by hplhd » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:00 pm

lol.bigincher beat me to wasco as a suggestion.

58bob
Bikes: 57 Pan Bobber
2001 Triumph Sprint RS

Post by 58bob » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:29 pm

j*r*m,
I would definately have it checked for alignment first, then do you trial fit-up.
I bought a new '57 V Twin frame, fitted everything, then later came across an original '56 so did the swap.
It was very interesting to see the difference. The engine fitted well on both frames, no problems there, but the gearbox on the VT frame gave a few issues. The 5th bolt didnt line up, the frame rails underneath that point were 10mm further apart so i had to open up the mounting tab to get the bolt in. The top frame tube above the engine was also slightly higher giving more room/clearance for the engine. Different for the oil tank, it was a lot tighter fit on the original frame. On the VT frame there was 10mm clearance to underside of the frame tubes to top of tank, I know this as I have clamps around the cross tube for springs to support the boober style seat......these would fit on the original frame, way to tight in there. Also the earth tab in the battery compartment is a different shape, flat, not curved like the original, only a small thing but still different.
Still a nice frame though, for the price, the Raceframe ones are very nice, and extremely well made, but I bought an original frame for less....so a no-brainer really.

j**r**m

Post by j**r**m » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:01 am

I really appreciate all of the help guys! That's why I love this site thanks!

Tunglegubbin
Bikes: 48EL

Post by Tunglegubbin » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:55 pm

Bigincher wrote:--- avoid the replicas from Sweden at all cost...!! Like the V-Twin, they 'look nice', but are much much worse than the V-Twin offering...! NOTHING fits...!
/
Since it's 20 years since Edlund stopped making frames and no one is doing any today (that I know of), who are you referring to?

Bigincher
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:53 pm

Tunglegubbin wrote:
Bigincher wrote:--- avoid the replicas from Sweden at all cost...!! Like the V-Twin, they 'look nice', but are much much worse than the V-Twin offering...! NOTHING fits...!
/
Since it's 20 years since Edlund stopped making frames and no one is doing any today (that I know of), who are you referring to?

Sorry to step on any toes, Tunglegubbin, and certainly no offense meant to your country....!
I don't know the maker of the frame I saw, and I also don't know when it was made.
But there was one that went through the shop at Wasco, and Dick was showing me how poorly the frame was fabricated, as to locations and orientation of the basic mounts, brackets, and tabs.
He said the frame was made in Sweden.

And earlier this year, I saw another one of those frames at a swap meet. The seller told me it came from Sweden, and I surmised it was from the same maker. Both frames were beautiful to look at, but sadly, nothing fit. It raised my eyebrow when the swap meet seller was asking only $1000 for a frame that looked so wonderful, and should have been worth twice that amount.

I don't know of "Edlund", Tunglegubbin. What was the quality of his frames?

Tunglegubbin
Bikes: 48EL

Post by Tunglegubbin » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:17 pm

Not offended, just curious.

Bröderna Edlund (The Edlund Brothers), made what I belive was top notch replica frames, but switched to making furniture (?)
Smaller shops has been making more or less one offs, but I don't know of any making them for export.
I guess they would be kind of expensives unless you make them on a grand scale.

Bigincher
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:45 pm

Yes, generally anything reproduced in Sweden is of high quality.

Still a mystery on the frames I saw, then....

Return to “Frame & Fittings”