Neck lock removal

pan58head

Neck lock removal

Post by pan58head » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:59 pm

Hello All we'll I scored a really 58 frame (for my 58) last weekend at the swap meet. I have a question about the neck lock. How can I get the lock out without ruining it I didn't get the keys. I did a search at it is very clear. It looks like I just need to drill out the roll pin is this correct. Thanks Bob

matco

Post by matco » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:47 pm

i would call a locksmith. they can "impression" a key if the lock is still good.

duoglide58

Post by duoglide58 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:03 am

If they can do it Matco's suggestion sounds better. But yes, you drill out the roll pin to get it out. It is hard to get a bit in there to do so. My 58 had been butchered on the lock leaving part of it in place and the plunger / bolt still in the head. I bought some diamond tipped dremel bits to grind the roll pin out. In order to get the tool in position I also bought one of those flexible shaft extenstions for the dremel tool. Without one, the body of your drill or dremel tool will interfere with getting the bit lined up properly.
Doug

Bill Golightly
Bikes: rigid frame '62 Pan
'09 cvo road glide

to drill out the pin

Post by Bill Golightly » Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:34 am

get a jobber length drill bit of the smallest diameter that will do the job. The pin is just barely into the OD of the lock tumbler, so go easy with the depth you are drilling. You do not want to drill through the tumbler, but just about as deep as the pointed end of the bit.

Any decent hardware store or McMaster-Carr will have them.

FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:43 am

Pan58head,

As mentioned above I would get a key made for the existing lock. If the lock does not appear to be all beat up and has not been painted or powder coated into the neck it should be ok after a little lubrication.

Look on the face of the core, there should be a letter and a single number above the key slot and 2 more numbers below the slot, something like B249. A lot of the old locksmiths have the code book and can cut a key using the code. There are also some internet guys doing the same thing.

All the early HydraGlides used keyed cores in the fork lock ONLY, the ignition switch cores had no pins (tumblers) in them so any key, even a blank, will "lock" the ignition. I don't recall when they started keying the fork and ignition together, look on your ignition core, you may find the same code on it also.

If you're determined to drill out the old core you can follow the advice already given about an offset drill attachment. Some of the cores were pinned in using a screw with a shaved off head instead of a roll pin so they are solid and not as easy to drill out.

good luck!

mike

pan58head

Neck lock

Post by pan58head » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:47 pm

Thanks all, Flathead I think the lock smith idea might be the way to go. My frame has been powdercoated at one time. The lock looks like I can save it. I still might pull it out and take it to the lock smith, don't really want to leave my frame with anyone. There's a guy selling replacement locks on e bay for $50.00 . Does any body have a link or email address for the person making the keys on the net from codes Thanks Bob

VPH-D

Post by VPH-D » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:02 pm

The key guy advertises in the AMCA magazine.
VPH-D

FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:21 pm

I shouldn't give away all my secrets but here's the link:

http://key-men.com/

Much cheaper than a new $50 core and a thousand times easier!

They even have the correct Briggs&Stratton blanks

mike

Post by Guest » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:58 am

Pan58 The neck locks Bills Cycle are selling are 55 and down with the B key stamp. Your frame has the stanlees steel cover. If you can't find a competent locksmith make a key learn top live with it. To try and drill the split pin is insane. You will end up braking the drill bit because of the split in the pin. Then your screwed. The way to really do this if you come across a new cylinder Is to regress to getto roots and just yank that puppy out with a slap hammer. I'm sure you can find a locksmith. These guys look at this schitt as a challange. Good ruk, Bob. PS: I have never since a 58 and up cylinder for sale in the last thirty years. If you come across a shoe box full by all means share.

Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea » Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:30 am

V-twin has 'em, nice lock too. Mine was welded over, which was fun to fix. I'd try the locksmith! Mike

pan58head

Neck lock

Post by pan58head » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:00 pm

That's what I like about this forum , there's always the right answer. I know of a "old time" lock smith, I'm going to talk with him. Like I said I'm trying to put my 58 back to somewhat where she came from HD. But not going to lie to you having a blast riding her as a ridgid!!!!! Bob

Return to “Frame & Fittings”