A simple menu for the gallery has been added: Menu for Gallery

Steering head lock

Steering head lock

Post by ftw54 » Sat May 17, 2003 3:30 am

Have drilled out the pin holding the lock into the steering head, but have no key for lock and am stuck as to how to get the lock out. It moves ever so slightly in the frame, but won't come out.

Re: Steering head lock

Post by dirtpandan58 » Sat May 17, 2003 5:23 pm

If you're sure you have the pin completely drilled out,and don't want to save the lock, you might try some penetrating oil,a screw and vice grips.

Post by ftw54 » Sat May 17, 2003 11:26 pm

I do want to save the lock. I am assuming that if I had a key, I could get the pin that slides in the steering head out which would release the lock. I might have to take it to a locksmith.

Post by Cotten » Sun May 18, 2003 1:32 am

At about $150 for a good one, think you do want to save the core.
Find a common Briggs-style key (B1 is the blank number, and used often for many brands of cabinet locks) and use it to try to gently work the core housing loose.
The biggest problems encountered with drilling the pin out are (A) not going in at the correct angle, and (B) drilling too deep if you didn't.

Post by PANHEADBEANS » Sat May 24, 2003 1:22 am

I'm running a 63 pan that i did the same thing . make sure you drilled true and the depth is correct. i used a b1 key blank and kept working the tumblers back and forth. i did do some slight gamage to the chrome cover on the barrel. once you get the barrel out you should see slight marks on the blank. file the marks until the tumbler is flush.

Return to “Frame & Fittings”