Later oil tank in 1958 frame

Chassis, frame, instruments, fenders etc.
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
dj

Later oil tank in 1958 frame

Post by dj » Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:25 pm

Is it possible to mount a '65 and later oil tank/battery tray in a '58 frame without modification? The purpose being...to be able to use a larger 12v battery than the mini-battery.
I've been looking into a Police style oil tank and battery tray, but they are somewhat hard to come by, and I've been outbid twice on e-bay on a Police tank.
I would guess that the possibility of mounting a '65 tank hinges on whether the frame was changed in '65 or they kept it the same in relation to the mounts.
Thanks...

DuoDave

Re: Later oil tank in 1958 frame

Post by DuoDave » Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:34 pm

I think you will find that there is not enough clearance with the drop down style frame of the 58. Looking at photos of the two frames you can see a distinct difference in the height of the tubes above the oil tank. The police style oil tank will give you what you want, though it does not look as good as the stock horseshoe tank. My pan is an ex police bike and there is plenty of room for just about any battery you choose. I am using the same type of sealed battery as in my Suzuki sport bike. Would a Sportster oil tank and battery tray be a possibility? Or maybe you could do something with a side mounted oil tank off an old Brit bike. Failing that, I guess you will just have to keep searching for a panhead police bike set up.

dj

Post by dj » Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:17 am

DuoDave,

Wow, as many times as I've looked at the pic(s) of your bike I just noticed that you are running a police oil tank. (I admire your bike, because it is a BLACK '59.)
Sportster or Brit style tank is out of the question. And only now that you mention it, I can see how the tubes above the tank on a '65 frame seem higher. (Looking at a picture of a '65 bike).....I will keep looking for a police tank set-up.
Now....is the internal filter in your oil tank the same filter used in the '65 and later tank? As well as the cap? It seems to me that the H-D Motor Co. felt that the earlier ('58-'64) police tank filter and cap design was a good one and they used it on the standard model oil tank for '65 and later. Do you think this is true?
Thanks for your response, and the Reluctant Dragon is even more admirable in my eyes, because I just noticed the oil tank!

(edit)Yes, a horseshoe tank looks better, but here is my situation: I need a generator and I want to buy a Cycle Electric. They make a 12v low output generator for use with the 12NS.5A-3B mini-battery. Because I will be running a magneto I don't even need a battery yet, but I do not want to run a mini-battery....EVER! So...I will buy a regular output generator so when I find a police oil tank/battery tray I can use a battery that has more amps than just 5.5A....Why? I believe in ROBUST! Someone might say, "but it doesn't even have an electric start"...So? I think it would be neat to be able to jump start a 2005 Ultra Glide Classic with a '60 panhead if the need were ever to arise. And I plan on running a few extra lights. Not ridiculous, but a few. So a bigger battery is what I want eventually. The Electra Glide battery has 28 amps if I'm not mistaken, and I think it would fit in a police tray.
I know that you use the alternator set up, but I'm not willing to shell out that amount of money, so I'll settle with the Cycle Electrics generator/regulator. But not the low output.

DuoDave

Post by DuoDave » Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:50 am

Yes, it is the same cap and filter as the 65 to 81 glides. Also used for 54 to 78 sportsters. It is a neat arrangement, as the filter assembly is hidden inside the tank. Helps offset the fact that the police tank does not look so attractive hanging out the right side the way it does. I used the Suzuki battery because it fitted well and has a black case. With an FLH decal stuck on the side, it looks the part. I chose the black and white paint scheme because it seemed appropriate for a police bike and it was a stock option. My oil tank has steel lines which are different from the lines used on the civilian models, so they are not available as aftermarket parts. However, I have seen contemporary photos of police bikes with rubber oil lines. flexible braided steel lines would be another option.
Good luck with your hunt for an oil tank.

hplhd
Bikes: 1998 heritage springer

Post by hplhd » Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:52 am

hello, been reading and shoplifting of the site for a little bit now. just wanted to say hey and there is a 2" diff i believe in the frames. i just read all the posts and i have the samll 12v in my 64 with a old 12v gennie and reg with no probs. i know a cat that put 2 small batteries in his oil bag and worked fine. i'm sorry i'm getting ready for work and trying to type with two fingers instead of one

dj

Post by dj » Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:00 am

hplhd,

2" eh? That's quite a bit. What I like about this site is that you can save a lot of time and money spent otherwise on futile experimentation by simply asking questions.

Thanks.

suicideshovel65

Post by suicideshovel65 » Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:19 am

Hi DJ,

I have a '59-64 Duo-glide police tank (with indentation for shock absorber) that I'm not going to be using. PM me if you're interested.
It has a bit of surface rust inside, but nothing that couldn't be cleaned out. It also has the cap, but the dipstick looks to be a later addition. No battery tray unfortunately, but also no dents as far as I can remember.
Happy to help out for a change if I can, seeing as I get so much from this site and can't yet put much in.

Cheers,

Simon

dj

Post by dj » Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:58 am

The indentation is for the tool box, not the shock absorber, if I'm not mistaken...

Return to “Chassis, Frame & Instruments”