Problems with attachments solved: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17433

Toolbox mounting question

Fixman

Toolbox mounting question

Post by Fixman » Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:28 pm

Description: I have the spacer, but I am a little confused as to where it goes

It's a 57 Pan, and I am about to mount a tool box. I have the spacer, but I am a little confused as to where it goes. Looks like you drill a hole in the fender and the spacer goes between the fender and the box. Is that correct?

Thanks

Kent

hplhd
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1998 heritage springer

Re: Tool box mounting question

Post by hplhd » Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:54 am

fat part on the fender, narrow end facing back tire, right above bottom frame tube. i never looked to see how it's secured. sorry if that don't help.

King

Post by King » Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:48 pm

Hi Kent

If memory serves me right my tool box mounts to the vertical flat frame member on the right side forward of the axle adjusting slot not directly to the fender. As your 57 is a rigid frame I think that it would be the same. I'll take a look this evening and let you know the exact set-up.

King

Fixman

Post by Fixman » Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:16 pm

Thanks King. The mounting on the 55/56/57 is a little different. It mounts to a frame bracket on the right side just above the exhaust pipe. The bracket has two threaded attachment points, but the third attachment is the one in question. A special spacer is used, and the only place that I can figure it mounts is to the fender. Just want to make sure before I go and drill holes.

Kent

48moon
Bikes: 1948 EL

Post by 48moon » Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:44 pm

My 48' pan has the hole on the side of the rear fender that the spool shaped spacer lines up to. Maybe they did away with it in later years? The alignment of mine was way off so I made my own spacer with offset holes so I wouldn't have to drill another. (I'm really sick)

Good luck...

Fixman

Post by Fixman » Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:43 pm

Thanks Moon. I have decided to just use the two mounting holes on the frame bracket and not use the third support. I will use the tool box for only very light stuff so I don't stress the frame bracket.

Kent

Return to “Frame & Fittings”