Powder coating rigid frame

48moon
Bikes: 1948 EL

Powder coating rigid frame

Post by 48moon » Sun Sep 26, 2004 1:13 am

I was about to have my frame powder coated but was told that I must remove the head lock or the heat from powder coating would destroy the spring inside the lock. Is this true? If so, what is the best way to remove the small pin from the frame holding the lock in?

Thanks....

dj

Re: Powder coating rigid frame

Post by dj » Sun Sep 26, 2004 5:30 am

Best thread on head locks here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=2947" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Best way is to drill it......in depth explanation in the above thread......

Hope this helps.

DanM

Re: Powder coating rigid frame

Post by DanM » Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:55 am

My understanding of powder coating temps are 350- 400. I've not seen higher than 400 myself. A spring temper requires much higher temps. BUT- make up your own mind, of course.

I'd be more worried about careful masking to keep powder out, including in the neck cup area. It's a pain to clean the powder out to seat the bearings. Whatever you do, make sure theu mask that area well.

Also, see if they can plug threaded holes. If not, you need to retap them all- not the worst thing when restoring a part, but no sense in having to remove the coating if you don't have to. Same where the motor sits- it should be clean for proper grounding, and flat for proper engine mounting.

Return to “Frame & Fittings”