T-bar and tank mounting

Chassis, frame, instruments, fenders etc.
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
harpo55

T-bar and tank mounting

Post by harpo55 » Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:43 am

Greetings all-
I've decided that I wanted to install an original style solo seat. The frame is the stepdown style with the round swingarm. It has no numbers, but a riveted tag on the front which doesn't give any indication of the year, however the original owner said it was a 58. My problem is the t-bar and tanks want to mount in the same hole. The tbar will fit only (barely) in the top hole where the tank bolts. The tank could fit in the bottom holes, if needed. Can you all help me figure this out?

Thanks, Dan

Billy

Re: T-bar and tank mounting

Post by Billy » Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:07 am

Hi Dan, OK, we know the "step-down frame" was made from 1958 thru '64. There "ARE" numbers on these frames & seeing that your R.tank is off, the code is most often on that side where the top motor mount wraps the top tube. Buried in paint, no doubt..
In case you want to know what year exactly. Codes read like "8 F" meaning '58 in June.

Anyway to your seat 'T'. I agree the bottom hole was a later drill-job. But using the lower holes, it looks like you would have trouble adding the nuts[no room]. Plus this will throw off all else. Can't you use the rear hole & adjust your 'T' to line up with this hole, that if used could be drilled round. That's what I would try. & leave the tank mounts as is. You may have to grind a bit off the underside & sides of the front mount of the 'T' no biggie, if you can line it up.. The 'T's have some adjustability.

ned

Post by ned » Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:16 am

looks like the rear tank mounts have been cut off and welded back in the wrong place.I am in the process of repairing the front and rear tank mounts and speedo mount which were cut off at one stage,and not welded back on in the correct position.Mine also is a drop arse frame.

harpo55

Post by harpo55 » Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:23 pm

Billy and Ned-Thanks for your advice. With the original tanks bolted in that hole, the speedo and dash fit perfectly. Thanks for saving me from another couple of hours of aggravation. With the Pogo Stick bolted in the forward hole on the T-Bar it still overshoots the rear holes on the frame by 3/4". Perhaps I can cut the bar and have it re-welded. Also, I would have to grind the end of the bar at least 1/8" on each side and that much off the bottom to make it fit. What is the way the parts were meant to fit? The T-bar that was sold to me as fitting a 58 to 64 frame, however when I received it, it had the inner bearing for a 65 up. It is possible that I have a T-bar for a later model? Any thoughts before I start cutting and grinding? Thanks, Dan

Billy

Post by Billy » Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:25 pm

Dan,
Just a thought here, but if you made 2 little plates that bolted outside of each the rear most bolt holes that would give you the I.D. for width, & raise the mounting point & have it more forward as well.
This should put you "in the ballpark" & if all lines up, &
if you wanted,
you could give them a bit of insurance

This should put you "in the ballpark" & if all lines up, & if you wanted, you could give them a bit of insurance-weld. If wanted..

This should avoid grinding the 'T' & cutting it.
Just a thought.. ;D

harpo55

Post by harpo55 » Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:46 am

Billy-Excellent idea! I was thinking of welding a tab in front of the existing mount, but your idea will work much better, then when I get it right I can weld them in place. Thanks again, Dan

Return to “Chassis, Frame & Instruments”