buddy seat

Chassis, frame, instruments, fenders etc.
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
50 el

buddy seat

Post by 50 el » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:39 am

maybe its just the way it is, but are there any secrets to settin up a buddy seat on a rigid frame pan so when I take my wife for a ride that I don't all cramped and seated farther forward than when the solo seat is on. the bike is a stock 1950 EL.

it seems like the seat needs to move back maybe as little as 5 or 6 inches to give me a little more room.

can't currently do this because all the brackets are adjusted to the extreme.

any tricks fabricating different brackets or a different seat that would still utilize the seat post that would be a little more roomy.

FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Re: buddy seat

Post by FlatHeadSix » Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:37 am

50 el wrote:maybe its just the way it is
Sorry 50EL, that's the way it is and there aren't any secrets to making it any better on a hard tail. I know it seems kind of wierd trying to drive the bike when you're almost sitting on the gas tank but it can be done and you do get used to it after a while (sort of).

I used to think that the buddy seat was "butt ugly", no pun intended, and I did a lot of swapping back and forth between the solo seat and the buddy. Now I actually kind of like the way the big seat looks, so I've had it on there all summer because I also find it to be more comfortable when I'm on the bike without a passenger, but you do sit a little higher.

The DuoGlides had a bigger buddy seat and a little better system for mounting it but it won't work on the rigids without major modification and fabrication.

mike

51Hog

Post by 51Hog » Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:52 am

We found a great solution to me riding on the tank.

I seem to remember back when I was about 16 or 17 years old, my girlfriend wanting to ride up front.
She said that she would be more comfortable up there than I.
Now, me bein' the macho type,---I wanted to be the one drivin'. I argued a bit with her, then started to think about it.....
She appeared to like the higher rpms and the lack of suspension at the front of the seat. And me... well, I had to hold on somewhere. Couldn't keep her off the bike and she wouldn't let me change out the buddy seat.

FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix » Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:15 am

Dale!

Did you ever figure out how to put the giant Evo moustrap seat thing one your '51?

mike

BTW, don't let my wife hear about riding up front, because I really don't think I could ride "bitch" on my pan!

51Hog

Post by 51Hog » Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:26 am

I think I could get one installed without too much problem and without modifying the bike frame.---If I could find one that reasonably priced to experiment with. Freight is killer to Alaska.
Right now I don't have the extra to invest on experimentation.
It seems there were two types. One hooks to the pogo and the frame and to the fender.
The other appears to hook to the fender and the frame only.
Yea---I been married for a while too.

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:15 pm

Moving the Buddy seat back limits its travel, hitting the fender under load. An extended rail helps a skosh.

The "tandems" were the only fender-mounted seats (until stupidglides in the early '70s, anyway.) They were catapults that put the passenger's center of gravity above the driver.
The '58 and later "bench" seats were supported by a bracket that "toed" upon pins on two vertical brackets bolted to the frame. (Thus, the Parts Book calls it the "Frame Mounted' Buddy seat.)

In all honesty, control over the machine improves when you are up on the tank. Having the passenger closer to the pivot point where the front and rear of the machine bounce up and down, but the center of meat-mass does not, is a tremendous comfort advantage even if you must share a lot of body heat.

Having the shifter inside your thigh is annoying, but not near as much as an open key cover if you hit a sudden stop!
(Think about it... Guys!)

Riding double is a lot simpler when the clutch dampener spring is totally released. Even long legs can be comfortable by using the toe upon the heel pad.

....Cotten

King

Post by King » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:02 am

I really think the Buddy Seat problem is due to the fact that they were designed at a time when the average American was significantly smaller than today. Look at the stats for WW II servicemen. I think the average was about 5’ 7” and 140 pounds and as for the gals “Five Foot Two, Eyes of Blue “was not just an ideal but a fact.

Personally, 35 years ago both the wife and I fitted on the Buddy Seat fairly well, now it is a bit of a challenge. But at 6’ 4” and a full 240lbs when kitted out it makes a perfect “solo” for me.

King

panhead55

Post by panhead55 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:23 am

get a side car...solved! really though, i am about to use the buddy seat deal on my bike. i have stock tanks and rear fender and foot pegs which mount to the floorboards but im not using the pogo stick. i made 2 little brackets which house springs and bolted them to the frame then connected them to the T-bar. im short and look dorky 6' feet off the ground. also i might have to modify the length of the T-bar to find a comfort zone. this should keep my rider and me more level. i hope this could help.

-billy

51Hog

Post by 51Hog » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:06 am

Sounds cool Billy---
Any Pics?
Dale

Return to “Chassis, Frame & Instruments”