1965 FL paint schemes

Wide

1965 FL paint schemes

Post by Wide » Fri Nov 07, 2003 9:05 pm

Hi All,
I have a 65 FL & looking for info on the paint schemes, I have all the correct colors, paint numbers, read all the books I can find, googled my fat fingers off but cant get the answer I want.
I see the basic tank two tone, what I want to know was the two tone the only scheme or could you get the bike in 1 solid color?
My bike was originally red & I cant tell if it was a two tone because the tank was stripped all the way down & all I could find while sanding it was red.
Any help or suggestion greatly appreciated.

stiggyc

Re: 1965 FL paint schemes

Post by stiggyc » Sat Nov 08, 2003 1:16 pm

I have the factory paint chips for the Red/white and the custom red, sort of a metalic. I picked the up thru Ted's cyc;e I belive. It's not a catalog thing, but they have may items not listed. Kind of like 45 Restoration.

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Sat Nov 08, 2003 3:25 pm

The books (and AMCA judging) are revisionist, in that they make up history as an ideal, when in reality, many dealers would sell you a bike any way you wanted it.
But it is usually assumed that the only solid colors awailable were for police, military, shriner, commercial, and other non-'civilian' issues. Regular production would have the panels. I personally suspect that many tankshift machines had none.
"Hi-Fi" colors are usually reproduced these days by laying clear color coats over a silver (sometimes silver-pearl) underlayer. This gives them a metallic look, without flakes.

Wide

Post by Wide » Sat Nov 08, 2003 8:18 pm

Thank you for such fast answers.

Cotten, Thats about the same info I could come up with, nice to have it verified.

I would like to put this thing back as close to orig as I can, cant tell you how long I spent takeing off layers of paint, checking seams for any sign of color & all I get is that Holiday red color.
I will have to check out the AMCA.
Lots of great info here & again thank you so much

Ed: see also the info per year!

Return to “Fenders, Primary, Tanks & Paint”