Create your own blog: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17487

Another stupid paint question

Cotten

Another stupid paint question

Post by Cotten » Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:29 pm

I hates paint.
Can anyone tell me what kind of paint is supposed to be gasoline-proof?
So far I have only found an isocyanate urethane that is durable to P4gas, but it is aluminum primer.
I need a satin black for carburetors that will not be affected by fuel (that even eats powdercoating!)
The forum seemed slow, so I figured I ask. Thanks as alway, in advance.

Jonderson

Re: Another stupid paint question

Post by Jonderson » Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:12 pm

Cotten, I don't think that there really is a true gasoline-proof paint in the sense that you could have it hold up to regular overnight dousing type situations. The closest thing I am aware of to what you are looking for is Imron (DuPont), a 3 part urethane.

57JOHND

Post by 57JOHND » Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:54 am

Cotten,
Dont know if it may be an alternative to paint or not for you, but what about anodizing? I have never tried any of them but have read about many of the "home cooked" methods. Remember some old hot rod articles that seemed to suggest that almost all of the stuff needed was hardware store stuff, and even the "special dyes" were nothing more than the old RIT dye you buy in the grocery store (hence color selection was almost endless). The process determined finish ie gloss/semi-gloss/semi-flat(satin) and flat. Googled
"home anodizing" just before posting this and the articles are numerous. Lots of suppliers out there including Caswell, which I have used a couple of their products (they have a tank sealer that to date is excellent).
Ive always wanted to give it a try just for grins and see how it turns out. Im not real big on some of the anodizing applications it always seems to end up on
because its always the "sooper dooper, thermo-nuclear
induction hardened, drop forged, ball milled, outer space certified--- Billet--". Personally, I think if its used in a different application than that, it is a really neat detail. Not trying to torque down the ones that like billet, its just not everything to me.
Anywho....
Just thought I would toss it out there.
Thanks

John

Sidecar

Post by Sidecar » Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:06 pm

I don't know shit about paint, but my frame is painted with Imron and it's holding up to oil and gas ??
I thought that the base coat/clear coat paints were about the best you could do for gas proofing on major parts ????
I dunno ?

Fast Ed 53

Post by Fast Ed 53 » Sat Jun 04, 2005 5:04 am

Cotten, I dont know what kind off paint your using but have you tried baking one of your pieces after you've painted it. The reason I'm suggesting this I had a pair of headers off a car that was painted with the high temp stuff, never would stay on. Then I sand blasted them and repainted with the same stuff then baked them on low heat about 4 hours, Been on 3 year's and nothing touches them. Just a suggestion. Ed

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:04 am

Since I do restoration work, anodizing, clear-coating, or anything that doesn't look like black paint won't do for black paint.
I am doing carbs, and the P4gas even eats powdercoating off of them. Just the fumes are enough to destroy anything out of a rattlecan.
Currently I have the bare carb bodies prepped and primed with Variprime, then baked. Then they are top-coated with Aerogloss, the paint that radio-controlled airplanes that burn really hot fuel use. Then they are baked again.
But P4gas is hotter....or at least more digestive.
None of my painters seem to think even Imron would do any better, considering how it can peel around gascaps. (But then they still can't cross-reference 'burgundy' either!)

Return to “Fenders, Primary, Tanks & Paint”