Front fender woes

panz4ever

Front fender woes

Post by panz4ever » Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:56 am

Have a 49 EL that is almost all stock. Question....how/what is the best way to fix/repair the front fender so that it will not crack. Had the fenders repainted took it out for a long haul and sure enough the front fender cracked along one of the seams from stress.

Post by Guest » Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:29 am

Is yours a rare '49 "package truck" with a springer?

Otherwise, I know of no seams upon a HydraGlide front fender.

The '49's were known to crack around the spotwelds to the brackets,...Is this what you refer to?

The evil practice of sandblasting aggravates cracking immensely, as it work-hardens the metal.
At that point it is often considered "ruined". The trouble and expense to anneal, repair, and repaint makes reproductions the most likely alternative.

mbskeam

Post by mbskeam » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:18 am

hello,
when my rear fender went and cracked by the fender brace, I found the end of the crack and drilled it out about 3/32, then welded up the crack and hole, then welded in 12 ga strips 1-1/2"x4 on the inside.I did both sides with the strips so as to not have the same issue later on the other side.

this should be a real straight forward fix.
find a fab/jobshop in your area, should not cost that much. then primer and ride a while if you dont want to kill more paint$$$$$$$$$$, then you will know for sure if your fix was good.

some times I wish my paint was not so nice, then I would not care so much.

mbskeam

VT

Post by VT » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:59 am

I think i was a happier person with rusted primer. At least it ran.

mbskeam

Post by mbskeam » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:20 am

yea I know that OH-crap feeling, all to well

mbskeam

panz4ever

front fendre woes

Post by panz4ever » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:49 pm

MBSKEAN, thanks for the tip. For the guest w/info, the fender is spot welded (49 only), my bag, it was the Jck that maid me slur my words.

Return to “Fenders, Primary, Tanks & Paint”