Best way to finish a frame

pan57

Best way to finish a frame

Post by pan57 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:02 am

hey guys I have my 57 torn down to the frame and i would like to re-finish it. I have two options. Paint or powder coat. either way the cost is about the same. any recomendations and pros and cons.

fourthgear

Re: Best way to finish a frame

Post by fourthgear » Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:12 pm

Painting gives you the option to make the frame the same color as the sheet metal, if thats the way you want to go . Powder coat is much more durable ,but even with the new colors available its hard to match the sheet metal if thats what is what you want to do . If you want to just make the frame black like stock theres now problem with powder coat . I use powder coat because of its durability (if done right , I have seen a few flake off because of some thing in the process not done right ), I had my frame on my one Pan done in a color of powder coat called electric teal and matched my sheet metal as close as was possible and every one says it looks great.

57pan

Post by 57pan » Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:02 am

One thing to keep in mind with powder coating is that you can't have any filler on it because it depends on an electrostatic charge to keep the powder on the frame until it is baked and there won't be any static charge where there is filler. So if you need to do any filling you need to weld or braze it.

Sidecar

Post by Sidecar » Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:05 pm

Powder coat. I have Imron ( paint ) on mine. I looked closely at my brothers bike that was powder coated and I will do the next frame with powder coat.
I have the underneath of my tanks and fenders powder coated the same color as the sky blue paint. You can not tell where the powder coat stops and where the paint starts. If you are painting tins and want powder coated parts the same color, look at the powder coat colors first. There are lots to pick from. It's easy to match paint to the powder coat.

panfreak
Panhead Register Member

Post by panfreak » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:05 pm

JB Weld works great as a filler. Be sure it is mixed well and applied bubble free.

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:03 am

If you ever hear the phrase "over restored", it's usually because powdercoating has made original parts look like repop.
A matter of taste?
Authenticity rules in the long run.

....Cotten

junker

Post by junker » Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:06 pm

I AGREE WITH COTTON,AND PAINT IS EASY TO TOUCH UP.

Rammy

Post by Rammy » Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:51 pm

I do auto restorations , never used powder coating . I have used allot of different paint products over the years and have found PPG Concept acrylic urethane to be an excellent choice for such things as frames, car or motorcycle. this stuff is as tuff as need be for your bike frame unless you plan to hill climb it or something.
You can also use a flattening agent in Concept to make it any degree of gloss.
I prep the metal then use black epoxy non sanding primer , then the two coats of black Concept . This way your finish is black all the way down to the steel, its great stuff........

King

Post by King » Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:20 pm

Thanks Cotten. I have observed the phenomena but couldn't quite get it. Didn't look right but why? Now i know.
Rammy your technique sounds like the way to go.

King

Return to “Frame & Fittings”