Problems with attachments solved: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17433

Frame mounted seat system

DanM
Site sponsor
Site sponsor

Frame mounted seat system

Post by DanM » Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:41 pm

Hello again!!

I'm working to put a frame mounted seat on my '64. I've got the seat, front mount, U shaped rear seat bracket, and two brackets for the frame.
I would like to know where the two frame brackets mount. The hole appears to be the right size for the upper shock mount. Do they go between the fender strut and shock? If they do, then my U shaped bracket isn't wide enough. There does not seem to be a location that matches the bracket.
I think the sportster used some/all of this hardware. Is there a chance the pan used a wider bracket than the sportster?
I've never seen a bike or photo with this system to compare- am hoping some one has personal experience-

Mine has a wide u shaped rear bracket that comes down to some brackets on the frame. There are not springs.
It is shown in the parts book in a boxed in diagram of the frame mounted seat.
Thanks for your time! I'll get back on later.

Dan

Cotten

Re: Frame mounted seat system

Post by Cotten » Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:23 am

Dan!

I believe your two rectangular brackets may use the same through-bolt as the clips for the common buddy assist springs (like the '66 and later ones Weez posted) would use, inserted through the tubular crosspiece in the frame.. I have two complete NOS assemblys (with '65 nose brackets, however), but finding a spare moment to mock them up is harder to find than the hardware.
The partsbook shows the complete benchseat assembly, and if the part# is the same for the through-bolt,.. yer there. Unfortunately, all of my literature is at the shop.

weezeo

Post by weezeo » Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:56 pm

No Problem Dan
Cotton probally has the #'s you need if not let me know I have a 59 - 69 Parts book and can find #'s of what you probally need I don't have them Cotton might. Good Luck

panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead » Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:30 am

Is this what you are looking for?

DanM
Site sponsor
Site sponsor

Post by DanM » Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:47 pm

I'm trying to get my picture up on the site. I had the system Panhead shows, but am trying to install something different to try out a different seat. The buddy seat was ok, but my short passenger had trouble. The frame mounted seat is a bit lower and narrower......

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:56 am

I took a tape measure to the '65 seat and brackets and compared them to a '65 frame, and it certainsly seems that the rectangular brackets must indeed be captured by the shock stud, and not the throughbolt that I suggested in my lst post.
Duo's may well be different, but I have only the '65 hardware to go by.

weezeo

Post by weezeo » Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:37 pm

here it is Dan I reduced it a little if you want the original size let me know its no problem....I see that it will mount to the regular tab between the tanks...it should line up to stock mounts......good luck

Dan I don't think that is a stock set up it was fabricated by someone to be used with aftermarket seat. The pic's that Panhead and what Cotton said will show you how to use it with those bracketts. Shouldn't be a problem at all.

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:27 am

The seat appears to be a Guilliari (uncertain of spelling), which was a premiere aftermarket manufacturer, as well as an OEM supplier for some of HD's Aermacchi models.
I believe the bracketry is indeed HD, however the nose bracket appears the same as my '65's. Please check the number upon its label.

And Mr. P! Isn't your assist spring yoke on backwards?

DanM
Site sponsor
Site sponsor

Post by DanM » Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:06 pm

Weezeo- thanks for the pix posting.
As far as I can tell, this was an optional seat setup. The bottom of the seat has a yellow stamp "OCT 63" in the same type of ink and typeface as the typical buddy seat I have. The nose bracket is an NOS part, and the # is same as the book. Those two plates with studs came from Old Dude against the parts book #. To me, the seat looks like the drawing in the parts book (pg 6. The only thing that seems wrong is the U bracket. There are two sets of tapped holes in the seat to take something. The front most set lines up with the two holes in the bracket- but when the bracket is there, it lines up with nothing on the frame. The rearmost set puts the bracket near or over the shock studs, but only one of the holes in the bracket lines up width wise with the seat. If I could get a bracket # 52554-59 to measure I could see whats up. I may only have to drill a new set of holes in the bracket, or to fix the width cut it weld it.
Again- thanks for your support. Dan

panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead » Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:02 am

Cotten, can you please explain your remark about the assist spring yoke?

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:43 pm

I have pics of both assemblies , but I am having trouble jumping through all the hoops to upload them.
Will be back online to modify this post asap.
(later:)......Nope,.....can't get them up; Will have to post direct in the morning I guess.

Return to “Seat”