Create your own blog: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17487

Front right motor mount bolt

PhilB

Front right motor mount bolt

Post by PhilB » Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:45 pm

I have a loose front right motor mount bolt. I cannot get to the bolt head is to pull the generator! This seems crazy! Is there some way to hold or get to the motor mount bolt head without having to pull the generator? Someone please tell me this isnt so! The left side I can get with a box end but so far, no luck fitting anything under that damn generator!

Help!

Cotten

Re: Front right motor mount bolt

Post by Cotten » Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:02 pm

The original bolt (except '65s) was threaded up from beneath. For a nut, they had an elongated piece of hex stock that was shouldered to fit a counterbore in the case beneath the generator. It also had a tab pressed on, to prevent it from turning, so it was quite easy to tighten the bolt with one wrench. Removing the generator was not necessary.

dereborn
Bikes: .

Post by dereborn » Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:04 am

Hmmm... That's some Cotten-style, good-to-know info! I've been hassling with it myself. Thanx!

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Sat Mar 05, 2005 1:34 pm

Well, no tab on this one! The bolt head is in a counter sunk hole, but the head turns when I tighten the nut! It doesn't look like there is any way I can get a wrench in on it. Maybe I can wedge something in there that will hold the bolt from turning but I don't know what! :

dereborn

Post by dereborn » Sun Mar 06, 2005 8:21 am

Philb: ...on the other hand... removing the generator isn't THAT big a deal, right? Just the 2 bolts, and I'm sure you don't even have to remove any cables if you just want to move the genny enough to reach that bolt head.

BigMike
Bikes: 01 FLHPI
64 FLH
Various partials....

Post by BigMike » Sun Mar 06, 2005 6:08 pm

leave the bolt out and use a ty-wrap!

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:12 am

My datsun is held together by ty-wraps. And duct tape.
But upon the other end of the perspective, a replacement nut can be easily ordered from any vintage supplier; my preference would be Kick-Start.
It would be worth it just to avoid the agony of loosening the generator every time you hit some railroad tracks, or a bar-side curb that you forgot about since that last time you hit it...

57stroker

Post by 57stroker » Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:08 pm

Sometimes an air gun will buzz the nut off a loose bolt. But on the other hand, the spinning bolt will be eating thru your engine case. I guess you takes your chances....

haggis

Post by haggis » Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:35 pm

guy's
funny how this should crop up...was at my dealers last week and he was installing the same front nut on a 57 that he's rebuilding. ( of course i said what the hell is that.. and do I need one!!)...damn do i want that bike!
Anyway...apparently there are two sizes..height wise that is Cotten will know this ...one is about a 1/4'' taller than the other..he had both in his hand and showed me the difference...guess one is for a Knuck or a smaller diameter gen...Haggis.
P.S. Cotten...Duct tape...the single most important invention of the 20 th century...if it can hold a NAS car together it can do anything!

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:35 am

I learn something every day,....if not every hour.
Two heights for the captured nut??
Gotta check my literature on that one.

dereborn

Post by dereborn » Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:31 am

Mankinds greatest discoveries/inventions: (the historic order is not necessarily the same as the order of significance) The fire, The Wheel, The Duct Tape.

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:51 pm

Checked my literature this afternoon, and only found 24797-37 listed for all big twins. Perhaps the other nut was '36 only?
I was reminded, however, of the locktab for the bolt that I omitted in my earlier post: 24800-36.
As far as duct tape (or "quackwrap" as we refer to it in the industry), it is forbidden for use on a machine to be judged for authenticity, just like wire ties. So always leave a few inches of it dangling to show your contempt!

Return to “Frame & Fittings”