Holes in swingarm

65 Eric

Holes in swingarm

Post by 65 Eric » Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:09 am

Hey everyone, fng here, I just registered today and want to say I 'm impressed as hell with all the knowledge that you guys (and gals?) have. Never been to a forum before, barely know how to work this thing but I'll get it. I've bought a 65 FLH and have took it down to the frame and noticed two small holes approx. .060 dia. near each bearing of the swingarm. The holes are on the bottom and aren't covered by the races or anything. The grease fitting is in the middle. What purpose could they possibly have? (besides greasing my rear tire) any help?
thx,
Eric

nickpipe

Re: Holes in swingarm

Post by nickpipe » Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:34 pm

Been a long time since I had the swing arm off but I think there to let water excape.......I could be wrong but...........

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:12 am

Water, air, and grease itself.
Pumping grease through a zirque into a contained volume would instantly pop the seals.
Once grease has filled the holes, water is excluded, hopefully.

....Cotten

mtnspan

Post by mtnspan » Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:33 pm

Hey Eric, hope to see you out riding, we're neighbors, I'm in San Dimas. Lot's of great info here, whatever you have a ? about you can find an answer here. Good luck with your Pan and maybe I'll get to see it on the road someday. Bob

03Roadking

Post by 03Roadking » Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:06 pm

mtnspan I was going to post the same thing I'm over here in La Habra If you guys are ever heading this way send me a PM and I will try and meet you I took the Pan to Cooks corner yesterday (have you been there?) the only pan there Guy walks by with his buddy and I hear him say I really like those repop kickers ;D got to love it

mbskeam

Post by mbskeam » Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:12 pm

RUBS.... ya gotta love'um........LOL

mbskeam

mtnspan

Post by mtnspan » Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:43 am

03RoadKing, that's too funny. I know what you mean. I had a guy pull up beside me the other day and say "cool bike man that's old school, what the hell is it" I'm still laughing about it.
Mbskeam, you got that right!!

Eric D

Post by Eric D » Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:35 pm

thanks all, it's coming along real good and I hope to fire it up in a couple weeks, I learned here that I could use my old (99)CV carb instead of spending a lot on an S&S. thanks again guys and I'll get in touch with you local's when I get'er done and maybe we'll take a putt.

Return to “Frame & Fittings”