Old man suspension

55FL

Old man suspension

Post by 55FL » Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:08 pm

During a recent Doc visit, my doc who's known me for 20 years commented that it was time for some suspension to my rigid frame and some mods to my ape hanger bars.
Being stubborn, and not particularly bright, I refuse to give up my beloved rigid frame and frame hugging seat. Awhile back I remember seeing an Indian Larry bike on the Discovery channel that featured air shocks for a solo seat on a rigid. Any experience with this?
Any other remedies for old age/rigid framed induced spinal cord issues ?
Besides going to a swingarm.

John

Fast Ed 53

Re: Old man suspension

Post by Fast Ed 53 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:12 pm

55fl, I've built a set of air pods that sits between the frame rails and works very well. Lifts the seat about 2 in. off the frame and gives me a great ride, when I get to were I'm going I can let the air out and the seat sits back down on the frame. My bracket that holds the pods is welded in but I'm working on a drop in bracket that will make it more versitile. Take a look at my bike on page 3 of the picture gallery (53 pan) see if you can see any sign of them. If your interested send me a personal message and I'll give you more specifics. Ed

kell

Post by kell » Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:06 am

FastEd

If you put an explanation up on the board I and probably others would be interested to read it.

55FL

Post by 55FL » Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:17 pm

love the girder Fast Ed, reminds me of my long bike days. How does your seat system work?

Fast Ed 53

Post by Fast Ed 53 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:18 pm

These air pods I use are small refridgeration control valves that work off of very small air volumes. I disassemble them and remove the valve and just use the the actuators. They have a small diaphram that I can fill with about 7 pumps from a hi-tech bicycle hand pump. When I originally installed them I relief cut the oil tank (appox. 1/2") to recess the frame work that they sit in, but did not need to they will fit between the tank and seat. I installed a 1" bronze bushing in each actuater that comes up and mounts to my seat with a floating mount on the bottom of the seat. These are a very neat packaged and I believe a simpler system than I've seen used before. If you have room a small 12 volt tire pump can be used to charge this system and not fool with the hand pump. I'll try to help with any other questions. Ed

ArizonaMike

Post by ArizonaMike » Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:12 am

Hi Ed,

Could you make me a set of your pods and what would they cost? (See my post, "Rigid Riding Tips Needed", to read about my problem. Thanks for your time.

Mike

Fast Ed 53

Post by Fast Ed 53 » Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:37 pm

Mike, I would be happy to make you a set up or send you the parts and let you make your own. From reading your post I do see one problem, my setup only works with a solo seat but I did cut apart a old mustang seat and was able to make it work. I just didnt like the way it looked on my bike. I'm using it with a Lepare solo non-gell filled and it works great! I need to read panhead's rules regarding this site because I'm not sure about how he feels using this forum for advertising or selling stuff so send me a pm and we will work out the details. Thank's , Ed

55FL

Post by 55FL » Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:56 am

Fast Eddie,
I too would be interested in your solution, finished product or plans

John

Fast Ed 53

Post by Fast Ed 53 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:03 pm

Hey Guy's, I would like to sell these as a drop in set for simplicity. I'm going to sell these for $ 250.00, I feel this is fair for the work involved building them. The set will include the drop in framework, 2 air pods, plungers, rear seat attachment,air line and fittings. Not included will be the front seat mount( standard solo seat swivel mount), bracket for fill valve(depending on mounting location). I'm not satisfied with the rear seat mount I have on my bike so I've redesigned that and will see a machine shop this week to get the new parts made. Please give me this week to get pictures posted so you can see how these work. If interested you can contact me at (arkell53@msn.com). Thank's, Ed

Seat pictures are posted for anybody who care's to look in the photo gallery.

Thank's, Ed

Billy

Post by Billy » Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:15 am

FastEd-
Very COOL design, I like it. I'm sure the ride is great..
Best of both worlds. Low slung chopper seat, & add some air & float down the road!!!
Nice job!!

Fast Ed 53

Post by Fast Ed 53 » Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:18 pm

Thank's Billy, I'm getting some interest. Ed

ArizonaMike

Post by ArizonaMike » Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:04 pm

Hi Ed,

I was wondering how you'd compare the ride in your air pod unit to the usual two or three-inch springs commonly used underneath solo seats. Also, since your air pods don't use any springs with them, do you feel that springs are not needed (like in late-model dressers)?

Fast Ed 53

Post by Fast Ed 53 » Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:54 pm

Mike, It's been a few years and a few pounds since I rode a solo with the 3" springs and I had small block chevy inner valve springs mounted inside them to keep from bottoming out. The best way I can describe the ride is comparable to a lowered softail custom. The reason I say this is my son and I had one last summer and I rode it to work quite a bit. I've rode the Pan this summer and I feel like I'm getting about the same feel.
While bench testing this system last winter I noticed that the weight of the rider made a big difference. I weigh about 225# and have to run about 26# of air to keep me off the frame on a sharp bump. The guy's that weight 160- 180 can run less air pressure and seem to get a softer ride.
I've got a shovel project right now and I'm going to try to set it up with the pods and the 3" springs mounted to the top of them. It'll look like the seat is on 3" springs, then run air on the pods and lift it up to ride. should work pretty good just have to figure out how to make it look right.
I dont have any problem with 3" springs I just think they will look better on the shovel. More of a bobber look. Sorry I'm so windy, Ed

53rigidrider

Post by 53rigidrider » Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:44 pm

First I listen to no one about what's good for me!
I absolutely cannot associate with anyone who uses the phrase, "Well, you've reached THAT age."
If I believed every wackjob med student disguised as a expert, I wouldn't even be riding motorcycles.
Get rid of your "friend" and do your thing!

http://www.indianlarry.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Billy

Post by Billy » Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:16 am

$1200. bucks for the air-ride seat using Indian Larry's name?? Whew!!

Much, much less can be spent on a nicer set-up from FastEd53.
Check him out & see. His set-up is Sweet!!

Return to “Seat”