Create your own blog: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17487

Petrol/gas cap

tim45

Petrol/gas cap

Post by tim45 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:26 pm

hi guys

now that the oil system is sorted i seem to have a small gremlin in my tank. when i took it for my first test run, it was
fine for 3 or 4 miles and then just cut out and crawled to the side of the road. when i released the fuel cap i could here the
air hissing into the tank. i think the tank is pressurising (vacuuming?)
the underside of the cap has the little notches around the inside lip but i cant see where it vents to the atmosphere.

any ideas?

also, does anyone have a separate fuel tap between the underside of the tank and the carb? i cant seem to turn of my fuel off and it is leaking onto the floor. not the best place with the price we have to pay in britain!!

cheers

tim45

Billy

Re: Petrol/gas cap

Post by Billy » Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:17 am

Hi Tim, Glad things are getting going. Your gas cap needs to vent. I have tested mine the only way I could think of. Wiped it off & just sucked in on the cap. Yeah sounds grose. But you cap should be able to let air in or same will happen. If your cap is not working maybe try cleaning it or replacing it..
As far as an extra gas shut-off I'm sure someone makes an In-line shut-off, But I'm not sure who ??

Maybe somebody will chime in here with that answer..

King

Post by King » Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:22 pm

Hi Tim

This may help. On my Pan I have installed a plastic sut-off valve I picked up at a small engine (lawnmower) store. It has to be mounted in a section of rubber gas line so I don't know if that will be possible in your
application but it sure cured my problems.
I've had the same gas cap problems too and Billy's test is the best way to determine if yours is truly vented. I bought a suposedly vented one and it looked vented but the suck test proved it wasn't.

Good luck

King

tim45

Post by tim45 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:12 am

hi guys
thanks for the pointer for the gas cap. have tried the suck test and it showed me how it should vent. the old gasket had expanded and covered up the holes so new gasket should fix it.
i think i will try a british tap and see if i can get one to fit the diameter pipe. will keep you posted

thanks
tim

Billy

Post by Billy » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:08 am

To some it's a dirty job, [testing gas cap] But somebody's got to do it.. I did.
I guess you could say literally, "The suck test Sucks"
King, good tip on the plastic shut-off from the lawnmower store. I knew they were around somewhere..

Return to “Fenders, Primary, Tanks & Paint”